Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ApoorvGoel Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2011, 02:55 AM
    VECTORS
    Q. If a rigid body is rotating about an axis passing through the point 2i^-j^-k^ and parallel to I^-2j^+2k^ with an angular velocity 3 radians/sec, then find the velocity of the point of the rigid body whose position vector is 2i^+3j^-4k^.
    a) -2i^+3j^+4k^
    b) 2i^-3j^+4k^
    c) -2i^+3j^-4k^
    d) -2i^-3j^-4k^
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

May 9, 2011, 11:45 AM
    Since this is a multiple choice question, we can do this the easy way! Since the specified point rotates AROUND the axis, we automatically know that its velocity vector is perpendicular to the axis. Hence, the dot product between the velocity vector and the vector parallel to the axis MUST BE ZERO.

a)
    b)
    c)
    d)

Clearly the answer is (a).
    ApoorvGoel Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 10:33 AM
    Comment on jcaron2's post
    Can you explain this question please
    I am not able to understand it
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 11:39 AM

The question says that you have a body under circular motion, okay?

Now, that body is rotating around an axis. The axis is parallel to the vector <1, -2, 2>, and hence has this very direction.

The axis is perpendicular to the direction of motion of the body, right? Jcaron used a method called dot product. This is something that can be used to check whether two directional vectors are perpendicular or not, giving a result of 0 when the vectors are perpendicular.

So what we need, is to find the velocity vector, which also gives the direction of the body. So, if we find the dot product of the two vectors (velocity and axis), we should get the result 0 since they are perpendicular. This is where the work that jcaron did comes into play, that is, finding the dot product of the two vectors, one being the directional vector of the velocity, <-2, 3, 4> and the others in parts b to d and the other being the direction of the axis vector, <1, -2, 2>.

I hope this makes sense. :)
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 19, 2011, 11:52 AM

Jc showed a really easy way to do it. But suppose it wasn't a multiple choice question. We'd have to do it the hard way:

Use the relation:

where is the vector in the direction of that has magnitude of 3 radians. But it turns out that the magnitude of is 3, so we're good to go. And is the vector from any point along the spin axis to the point in question:

So

Which agrees with choice (a).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vectors [ 7 Answers ]

Q.If O and o' are circumcentre and orthocentre of triangle ABC , than OAvector +OBvector +OCvector equals 1. 2oo'vector 2. oo'vector 3. o'ovector 4. 2o'ovector please give your choice with correct explanation

Vectors [ 2 Answers ]

If the position vectors (-jcap-kcap), (4icap+5jcap+lambdakcap), (3icap+9jcap+4kcap) and (-4icap+4jcap+4kcap)are coplanar, than the value of lambda is 1. -1 2. 0 3. 1 4. 2 please give your choice with explanation please specify that what is the condition of coplanar...

Vectors- tension problem (application of addition of vectors) [ 1 Answers ]

An electronic score board of mass 500 kg is suspended from a ceiling making an angle of 70 degrees with the ceiling.The weight is evenly distributed. Determine the tension in the cables in newtons

How to do vectors [ 2 Answers ]

My name is chris and I am currently attending ITT technical. My question is how to do vector problems in trig.

About vectors [ 2 Answers ]

I'm facing problem how to visualise vevtors when our sir teaches... what exactly are vectors how do they look like... how can we easily understand these properties such as rings etc

View more questions Search