Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laylow80 Posts: 67, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
    Neutered but still humping?
    My 4 year old maltese was neutered before the age of one. I have a 2 year old female chihuahua who was spayed before the age of one too, and he humps her! Only on occasion. Is this normal?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Neutering takes away fertilizer but not his desire. My male has been neutered for 10 years and he still humps other dogs, maybe a bit less often.

Feb 5, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Yea, I see now, thanks. :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2007, 04:59 PM
    Humping has more to do with rank and pack status than sex. Both neutered males and spayed females will continue to do it. Having dogs fixed does reduce dominance and sexual drives, but does not eliminate it.

Feb 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
    Good advice guys, thanks. =)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Hey laylow sorry I didn't see this yesterday! Labman is totally correct. I know you received the answer that you wanted but it made me laugh and I thought you all might appreciate this.

See my avitar under my name? From the day I brought this wonderful FEMALE home, she will occasionally, at one time or another, decide to hump dogs and children. Usually, it happens when I am giving attention to another dog or a child. As soon I move away, she inevitably sneaks up and will start humping. Sometimes she is headed in the wrong direction and humps air! Hahaha. Although it is no laughing matter is does make me laugh to think about catching her humping nothing. Her direction is more times than not, absolutely off base. But, as Labman stated, she is letting them know that after me, she is next in line to the throne and is the dominant one over them. No matter what I do with her training, that is the one habit I cannot seem to completely erase from her. :)

Feb 11, 2007, 02:42 PM
    Hahah. Now that would be funny to see. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Leg humping [ 9 Answers ]

Our pup, 8wk old choc. Lab, has been what we think is starting to hump my wife's leg/foot. Not every time she walks in the room but a couple times a day. I would think he's to young for this type of behavior but not sure. Any suggestions. Along with that he is a chewing machine. We know this...

My neutered dog is mating! [ 2 Answers ]

Holy cow, what a week with the animals. A few months ago I took in a little stray, wild dog who was abandoned when her former "owners" (ha ha) moved away. She's come into heat. Yesterday I go outside to find my male NEUTERED dog tied to her. Today, same thing. My vet assures me he's shooting...

Puppy neutered... a few ?'s [ 2 Answers ]

my 7 month old mini doxie got neurtered today and i just picked him up....hes a little shaky, is this nervousness or soreness or not normal? hes bin licking his stitches a little too...how much is too much? wat should i do if he is licking too much?? thanks and ill let u kno if i have any more ?'s...

Dog Neutered [ 3 Answers ]

Our black lab Tiko has just come back from the vet after staying overnight after his surgery... he is doing fine... a little groggy and sore but no other issues... the vet did recommend to limit his activities to on leash walking for a few days... My question is now that he is neutered will we be...

Dog getting neutered [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, we are getting our 8 month old lab neutered on Thursday. He will be staying overnight at the vet. Couple questions that I had: What should we expect behaviour wise when we get him back? Should we be prepared for any abnormalities? We have noticed in the last day that he is trying to...

View more questions Search