Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Jan 26, 2007, 06:31 PM
    Outbox won't empty and keeps sending Outlook express
    Hi, I have been using outlook express 6 for a few years and have never really had a problem. But just the other day, I went to send a email with a attachment, and I hit sent and left the house and my friend received it 60 times. It would do the normal process of sending, then it would say a "error has occurred, please read for details" But there was no details and the email stayed in the outbox. It says it never sent, but it actually sent. So if I want to send a email, I have to send it, get the error message, (hoping it sent to the recipient(which it usually does) ) And then delete it from the outbox. What a pain. If anyone could help or give me a tip, that would be great> Thanks!
    peterseth Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 04:48 PM
    And you already scan PC for viruses?

Peter

Jan 31, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Yes, I'm actually doing it again. I have avast, ad-aware,spybot and superanti spyware removal... Do you have any sugestions. And I also deleted my sent folder below 2000 messages. Have you any suggestions about virus scans? Thanks, Lee
    peterseth Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2007, 08:12 PM
    Try online scan on Trend Micro Enterprise Homepage (Global). Then click PERSONAL, then house call and next you see. It takes few hours, but I have good experiences with it. I don't use Avast, ad-adware today, I think, is not so good. Spyboot is strong but not for all treats.
    All this use offline ! (except trendmicro), better in safety mode. Look also in windows32 folder, sort files by datum, check if there is not new file (it is not reason to have new file), also sort by size and check small files. 0kB etc.

Start with trendmicro, if this don't help I send you another tip, but I must look on CDs.

After all scanning, if it goes wrong, if you have Office, make MS Outlook default post klient and check, if the situation repeats. This is the last possibility, when you start Outlook, may be you can cause virus activity, e.g. it copy itself. And then you can also check files and date. New file will be very suspect.
    shelly9795 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Did you get this problem to go away? We are having this EXACT problem!!

Jan 16, 2008, 07:44 PM
    Hi Shelly... no.. im still having this dumb problem... I also know a few people that are having it as well... Let me know if yiou figure it out.
    shelly9795 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2008, 08:15 PM
    I did a Google search and a bunch of people said to delete the outbox.dbx and the sent folder too, and when you go back into the Outlook Express, it will create new outbox and sent items folders,, here is a paste from another user,, and it worked for me,, Maybe delete the entire 'outbox'?. close OE and do a start/ find for .dbx files and delete from there... and OE will regenerate 'outbox'... hopefully with the contents gone...
    conehead Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 08:51 AM
    I've had this problem and did all that was suggested. But what worked was the following:

I went to my sent box and deleted all messages or saved important messages in newly created folders under local folders. Totally deleting all in the sent box.
    That worked - it seems that when the sent box gets full, new messages cannot go into the box, so they remain in the outbox.
    InsuranceGuy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 06:36 AM
    I had the same problem. I used Coneheads method and it worked like a champ. Thanks! Also, FYI, I created a sub-folder under the sent folder and moved most of the stuff to it. Not all yet, as there was a bunch in there.
    Tenriff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2009, 01:36 PM
    Comment on conehead's post
    This worked
    houseboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2009, 11:59 PM
    At first I used conehead's fix, but the problem persisted. I then used Shelly9795's fix and it solved the problem. Deleting just the emails on my computer was not enough. I had to delete the sent.dbx and outbox.dbx folders. I wasn't able to delete them in Outlook Express. I had to locate them and then delete them using "explore" by right clicking on the Start button. On my computer the files were buried several subfolders down. Once locating them, they could be deleted. I was also unable to delete emails by just pressing my delete key. This apparently was caused by having too many deleted emails in the deleted items folder. Once they were deleted that solved that problem. It is a good idea to limited the amount of saved files in any folder. Apparently having too many emails saved in the folders effects the operation of Outlook Express. Good luck!
    englash Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2009, 02:52 PM
    I agree with emptying the sent mail folder. It worked for me.
    rfhoge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by houseboy View Post
    At first I used conehead's fix, but the problem persisted. I then used Shelly9795's fix and it solved the problem. Deleting just the emails on my computer was not enough. I had to delete the sent.dbx and outbox.dbx folders. I wasn't able to delete them in Outlook Express. I had to locate them and then delete them using "explore" by right clicking on the Start button. On my computer the files were buried several subfolders down. Once locating them, they could be deleted. I was also unable to delete emails by just pressing my delete key. This apparently was caused by having too many deleted emails in the deleted items folder. Once they were deleted that solved that problem. It is a good idea to limited the amount of saved files in any folder. Apparently having too many emails saved in the folders effects the operation of Outlook Express. Good luck!
    So where do you find *sent.dbx* and *outbox.dbx*
    paulekatt Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Each folder in Outlook Express can only hold up to 2gb or so of info. This problem seems to start when the Sent box is to full. It becomes evident at first with emails with large attachements in pdf, tif or jpeg, etc. format. It will eventually do it with all emails when it is completely full.

I used the mighty "conehead" method listed below to solve the problem. If you need to save a lot of the emails in the Sent Items folder, it may take a few hours to sort through them. If you want a quick fix, either delete the entire contents of the Sent Items folder or create a new sub-folder in the Sent Items folder and move all of the emails from the sent items folder to the new sent items sub-folder. This may take a minute, but everything is back to normal as soon as the files are moved out of the Sent Items folder.
    TowTruckGuy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 05:58 PM
    That Sent Items.dbx was 1.9GB so I renamed it with a b at the end & it created a new folder as per above posts. Strange how none of the sent emails from original file showed in Sent Item folder even before I renamed.
    TowTruckGuy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2012, 06:00 PM
    Oh BTW... yes it now works properly!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Express sending multiple copies [ 24 Answers ]

For the past 3 days I have had problems with Outlook Express. When I send an email or respond to an email, it goes out (I can see the Nortan scanning window) and then automatically goes into my outbox and every time I check mail, it sends it out again and again and again. A friend told me that she...

Outlook express? [ 4 Answers ]

Is there any way to unsend a sent email in outlook or outlook express?

Outlook express [ 7 Answers ]

I got some virus that was sending me 3,000 e-mails a day all maildeamon and postmaster returned mail from all different addresses.. Anyway I ended up losing that address and my web site (both connected) and got a new address, but now can't get onto the internet on that lap top, so I wanted to...

Outlook Express won't send [ 3 Answers ]

hi I have outlook express and I can recive mail but when I try to send I get The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'account', Server: 'server.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E I have had this before for like a couple of...

Outlook Express problem sending videos [ 9 Answers ]

Is there any way to send short videos (only a minute or two, often less than a minute) on email? When I've tried it doesn't go through - I don't know if it's a problem with my computer (Toshiba laptop running Window XP Pro, WI-Fi using a D-Link router), with Outlook Express, or with my ISP (Shaw).

View more questions Search