Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    punit10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2011, 11:52 PM
    How long can a baby slider turtle can be kept in sun?
    How long can a baby slider turtle can be kept in sun?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 17, 2011, 01:28 AM

I would say not very long at all. The baby turtle would cook in the sun. Why do you ask this question ?
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2011, 10:36 PM

In my opinion, turtles should always have immediate access to water. They will then move in and out of the water to the sun as often as they need. Don't keep the tank in the sun or you will get a build up of algae in the tank PLUS the water will get too hot and you will cook your turtle! I prefer to use a basking light. The basking area should be about 86 degrees F. Check the water temperature constantly to ensure it isn't too hot. A slider would need the air temperature of the room (thus the water would be about the same) around 75 degrees and the air/water temperature for a baby should be slightly warmer... about 82 to 85 degrees. Make sure your baby isn't too cold, otherwise it will get sick. Temperatures below 75 degrees with cause them to stop feeding properly and they can become quite ill with respiratory illness.

If it's a nice warm day I have a kiddie pool outside that I put a large rock in the centre for my red-eared slider. She goes out on warm sunny days. It's very important that they have a cooler area to retreat to when they feel overheated. I put water plants in the pool (and move them to the aquarium because she loves them not just for shade but for hiding and as a food source) and try to have one corner of it shaded with garden plants or a bush. DON'T use an aquarium for this as they get VERY hot in the sun.

My gal is about 12 years old (I've had her since she was a wee baby and she's HUGE now) and she's very happy and healthy, so it should be pretty good advice. :) Hope it helps!

Hugs, Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long can I stay in the sun without getting a tan? [ 3 Answers ]

As for race, I am not white, yet I am not black either, I'm something else lol. Anyway, me and my mother both seem to tan quite easily. And So I ask you, how long can I stay in the sun without getting a tan? I wish to not get tanner. I live in California where it's nice and sunny =D, about 75...

How long do I have to be in the sun to get enough Vitamin D for the day? [ 3 Answers ]

How long do I have to be in the sun to get the minimal amount of Vitamin D needed for the day? Also, does it matter on which part of my body the sun hits? And finally, if I wear Sun Block lotion to stop the sun from tanning me, will that prevent me from getting the Vitamin D from the sun? ...

Does anyone have a red eared slider turtle? [ 5 Answers ]

Ok I have a male turtle that I had for a month and since then I can't get him to eat the food pellets that I brought. My dad gotten a big tank for him but he had to get rid of the tank because he couldn't take the smell and he doesn't want to have to clean it every month. I have my turtle in a...

Red eared slider turtle [ 2 Answers ]

Our Red Eared Slider turtle is in a tank by the window to get a little sun. We moved from Texas to New Hampshire and she has stopped eating. Does she need a certain temperature?

View more questions Search