Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    claires123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2011, 08:21 AM
    Antabuse alternatives?
    Antabuse has caused me liver problems and I have been told to stop treatment, any alternatives that are safe?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2011, 08:34 AM

The best person to make this recommendation is a Physician. I believe Antabuse can no longer be prescribed in Canada and Temposil is prescribed. It's apparently not as effective as Antabuse but it does work.

A Physician or Pharmacist would know.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2011, 10:05 AM

If the medical doctor has told you to stop treatments, of it, he will of course write a letter to them explaining it.

That doctor should also have recommended something else according to your health condition.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Jan 15, 2011, 02:08 PM

Baclofen (Lioresal) has been tested specifically for the conditions you mention, low liver metabolism and aids in total abstinence. Few MDs outside the alcoholism treatment specialty field are familiar with the drug, so you may have to do a little "ejacatin" but there is a significant body of research available at this point. Here is a brief article, on line, to get you started.
    Weave Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 PM
    Hi DR. Bill,I was really surprised by your response as I am taking Baclofen for some time now to help with terrible neck pain seems to help I also happen to be in recovery some 9 years or so.Took me a hell of a long time to get right with myself.On a couple of occasions back in the 70s and 80s I was ordered to take Antabuse and yes I drank on it more than once it was not ever a good time!Anyway I ask for an alternative for my friend who is a very very very serious alki.Loads of treatments and what ever.Bottom line he doe's have some liver damage has had two bouts of pancreatitus So I said it seemed like there was a alternative, was thinking it started with an F Maybe you know Doc?
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2012, 08:06 AM
    Weave,

I'm not familiar with anything that begins with an "F"

There is acamprosate, naltrexone (Vivitrol by injection), Temposil (Calcium carbimide), Antabuse (disulfiram), Baclofen, and Nalfemene. Since 2011 two other drugs, previously FDA approved for other uses, are being researched for efficacy in alcohol treatment: Chlorzoxazone, (currently a muscle relaxant), and Mifepristone, a drug approved for terminating early pregnancy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alternatives to her needs [ 1 Answers ]

This girl Shannon that I've been with for 5 months is the most amazing girl ever. We're both going to be 15. She's definitley everything I can ask for. Today we were making out and things were really intimate but she was acting different. She said she wanted to do more than just makeout but when I...

Will antabuse show up on a probation drug test? [ 1 Answers ]

It probably sounds like a stupid question, right? Why should my PO be mad if I'm on antabuse, you're probably asking. Well, here's the story-I've been on probation for 10 months, now; I only have two more months to go. Pretty much the whole time I've been on probation, I have been drinking (in...

Antabuse Rx, is there alternatives? [ 1 Answers ]

I was reading an earlier post about this medication, and have been interested in this for a while for my husband. How hard is it to get a prescription for it? I mean, is it readily prescribed or do you have to beg for it? Also, is there any other OTC or herbal that is similar? We have talked...

What are the alternatives to ImageShack? [ 3 Answers ]

What are the free alternatives to ImageShack? I don't know why but whenever I upload a picture it resizes, even when "resize image" is unchecked. :(

BK Alternatives [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am at a point where I have to file BK. What if I do not file BK and let the creditors sue me? What happens in order? Do I have to show up at court each time I get sued? I have no problem if they enter a judgement against me. I live in California. Thanks for your detailed explanations ...

View more questions Search