Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    codemarine123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 07:33 PM
    Old Delta Tub Spout Leaking
    I have an old delta tub spout. It screws on to the fitting in the attached picture. When the shower is turned on water leaks from the back of the spout. I now have a water spot on the ceiling below. I have cut a hole behind the tub and discovered the leak. I am unable to find a replace o-ring or even a suitable replace tub spout. This tub spout is thread with what appears to e something like 1" threads. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot have anything like it and neither have the o-ring. The fitting that the tub spout screws on to appears to be sweated on to the 1/2 copper pipe. The plastic threads on tub spout near the end appear a little damaged. I am not sure if the damaged threads or the o-ring are the cause of the leak.

I am wondering if anyone knows if there is an easy way to switch to a newer style tub spout by adapting what is there without having to use a torch. If not that I am also wondering if anyone might be able to recommend a website where I might be able to purchase a replacement tub-spout that attaches to the fitting in the picture.
    Attached Images

codemarine123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2009, 07:58 PM
    I uploaded a few additional images. One a side view of the tub spout and one a rear view showing the threads in the tub spout.
    Attached Images

cnn90 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 12:57 PM
    For those reading this thread, I have the same issue. The Adapter was soldered into the 1/2" copper pipe.

You have 2 options:

1. Buy Delta RP5834 Spout ($17 online, ask Lowes to price-match!).
    Transfer the O-ring from the new kit to the existing brass adapter.
    There is no need to remove the brass adapter, which lasts some 100 years!

2. A cheaper alternative is to fix the leaking pull-up device:
    - Remove the Tub Spout (Counter-clockwise)
    - Using a flat scredriver and gently spread 2 prongs of the while plastic pull-up device, then seprate it from the pull-up knob.
    - Inside the white plastic pull-up device is a "cup O-ring", which is NOT sold separately by Delta.
    - Place an appropriate small O-ring UNDERNEATH the "cup O-ring" to lift it up a bit so the seal is tight.
    The BEST fit is DANCO #35 O-ring package (O.D. 11/32; I.D. 9/32; Thickness 1/16"). Sold at Lowe's for $1.90 for package of 10. This works very well for me!
    Cost was $0.20!

Hope this helps.

Cam
    Omaha NE

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 02:56 PM

Hi Cam...

Thank you for posting your experience with this spout.

Most of the time, as you said, just need to swap over the ORING and install the new spout and all is done!

Thanks again!

Mark
    annatar907 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2011, 11:31 PM
    Any machine shop or hydralic shop is going to have every size o-ring god ever made.
    GmeMstr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2012, 06:44 AM
    I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say,
    Thanks Cam!
    You saved me a ton of grief, especially after I took the old spout to Lowe's and the guy had no clue what to do.

Yes, I paid Lowe's high price, but hey! What's 8 bucks on an early Saturday morning. Thank you so much for your guidance!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower head with Delta valve [ 1 Answers ]

I have a shower that does not stop dripping and now the drip turned into a full on shower so I have to turn the water main off when I am not using the shower. I took shower head off and replaced. That was not the problem. I took apart the Delta Valve got new gaskets and springs and still leaks. At...

Delta tub spout leaks when using shower [ 1 Answers ]

To Tom: Our Delta tub spout leaks when using the shower. We do not have a three knob shower valve. When the spout is removed from the copper pipe stub a large threaded copper sleeve (about 2 inches in length) partially covers the middle portion of the pipe stub. It is not a male adaptor attached...

Delta tub spout leaks when using shower [ 1 Answers ]

Our Delta tub spout leaks when we use the shower. I have remove the spout and was going to replace it with a universal spout. However, when I unscrewed the spout I noticed a large, threaded copper sleeve remained attached to the copper water pipe. I can't seem to remove or twist the copper...

How to remove a slip-on Delta bath tub spout [ 1 Answers ]

The house is 16 years old. The bath tub spout has no identification on it, but it says "Delta Monitor" on the Temperature Control knob. The problem is that the water just flows to the tub and won't go up to the showerhead. I am trying to rePlcace the tub spout. It looks like a slip on type. I have...

Delta Shower Leaking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a delta shower that is leaking. I tried adjusting the valve, and it seemed to help, but it started leaking again. I did some research and took the shower trim and such apart... I got down to the valve, and not really sure on how to remove it. I am assuming that you just turn it...

View more questions Search