Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevensr Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 22, 2010, 11:51 AM
    Wire size for 400 amp service
    What size wire do I need for a 400 amp residencial service. And what size wire do I need for the grounding electrode?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Dec 22, 2010, 02:21 PM

Won't your electrician have all this information?
    stevensr Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Dec 23, 2010, 10:11 AM
    I am the electrician WITHOUT HIS CODE BOOK. I was look for some quick help to avoid an extra trip to the job site. stanfortyman, why can't you give a simlpe answer? I have read several of your post and none have been helpful to the question asked. Why do you even bother?

Don't bother replying, I won't use this post again with people like this out there.

Dec 23, 2010, 11:24 AM

Well then why don't you state this from the start. People can be so evasive when asking for help. THAT is why I sometimes don't give a straight answer.
    If you are still interested post back. If not then have fun.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 01:35 PM

What type insulation are you planning on?

What conductors are you planning on using, copper or aluminium?

From T 310.15 (B)6 - 400 amp will use 400 KCMIL (Copper) and 600 KCMIL (AL) T 250.66 - Ground would be 1/0 copper and 3/0 aluminium.

Dec 23, 2010, 01:38 PM

Don, don't forget...

250.66 Size of Alternating-Current Grounding Electrode Conductor.

(A) Connections to Rod, Pipe, or Plate Electrodes.
    Where the grounding electrode conductor is connected to rod, pipe, or plate electrodes as permitted in 250.52(A)(5) or (A)(7), that portion of the conductor that is the sole connection to the grounding electrode shall not be required to be larger than 6 AWG copper wire or 4 AWG aluminum wire.

Dec 23, 2010, 01:42 PM

This is what I mean by evasive questions.
    This guy throws this open ended question out there with absolutely no detail as to the situation or why he is asking, then he gets mad at me? Nice.

If he can come here and ask this question he can also Google the question and in about 30 seconds he'll have his answer.

I call a big B-S that he is an electrician. If he was he would know T310.15(B)(6) is for sizing residential services (this is first year stuff) and simply Googling that would get his answer.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Dec 23, 2010, 02:06 PM

I intentionally left the code site out of my response, because, he's an "electrician?", maybe?

I just gave the table information because that's all he asked for.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size for 200 amp service [ 2 Answers ]

I am adding a new service to a pole barn. What wire size do I need to use from the meter socket to the pole when the pole is about 400 feet away? I need to know the wire size for 100 amp service and a 200 amp service? Thanks

What wire gauge for 400 amp service, 320 ft run? [ 7 Answers ]

Built a pole barn in the back yard, was going to upgrade the house service and run from there, but thanks to the county I am running separate service. I have the 3" conduit, I know I need to leave 35' coiled at the bottom of the utility pole, and want to run about 5' inside the barn to get to...

Wire size for a 400 amp service [ 2 Answers ]

Anyone know the minimum wire size and conduit I can use for a 400 amp service for my apt building?:confused:

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

View more questions Search