Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BEB123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2010, 01:09 PM
    Can one collect severance pay and start new employment at same time?
    I just got notice of AJWright closing all it's stores & warehouses... I work in the warehouse. Can I collect severance pay and start a new job at the same time ? IF severance pay is considered paid salary I would think I can't? Would I bet better trying to get a 'lump sum' settlement ?
    Thank-you
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 01:13 PM

I would go for the lump sum settlement. That would give you free reign to pursue other employment with a little nest egg.

Will you still be working at AJWright while they are winding down? Is that what the severence pay is covering.

Severance pay is given when you are let go and terminated and not going back, so in that case you could collect and pursue other employment.

Tick
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2010, 01:29 PM

Severance pay is not contingent on new employment. So you can certainly start a new job. If you think you can find work quickly, then I would take the pay not a lumpsum, especially if the lump sum will be less than the total payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 03:02 PM

Agree with Scott, severance pay is merely pay to you for the time and effort you put in while at work and to help in the transition. So unless there is some clause in the paper work about other employment, there is no reason you can't collect both ( it is not unemployment (
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 12, 2010, 03:56 PM

One never knows nowadays. Severance pay is exactly as it states, severance which means to sever, cut. I got it a couple of times, and it was a lump sum, because the previous employer could afford it and didn't need remedial workforce to close down.

Tick
    BEB123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2010, 07:50 PM
    Thank-you for such helpful answsers. These are tough times for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

501c3 church severance pay [ 2 Answers ]

We are a 501c3 church. Is it legal to pay severance pay to pastors who are leaving employment of the church? What are the common practices for other churches regarding paying outgoing pastors severance pay?

Contracted raise, pay-cut, severance. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an employment agreement that guaranteed me a increase (20%) at the end of my first year. The company has so far not responded to my requests to address the issue (it's well past my anniversary.) There is a clause in the agreement that states I can leave for cause if the company fails to...

Severance Pay, ERISA [ 2 Answers ]

I am an Executive with 3 years at a firm. I was summarily terminated. No notice, no reason. No fraud, no embezzlement, not anything along those lines. I got caught up in some political matters. I am 60 years old. My contract calls for a one year salary severance package paid in bi-weekly...

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

I received 3 weeks severance pay from my company that I was laid off last July. The company sent my W-2, but I didn't receive a severance form from them. Neither did the others I asked that were also laid off. So? Does that mean then I shouldn't worry about it?

Severance Pay [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer has defaulted on our signed severance agreement by having insufficient funds for my severance check to clear. In other words, my severance check bounced. I have notified the District Attorney's office and the Department of Labor. Can I file a summons and complaint and have him...

View more questions Search