Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    april1848 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 03:48 PM
    Just had septic tank drained & they want to dig gravel pit.Do I need this?
    Hi! When we flushed our toilet ,water started coming up in the sink that smelled like sewage.Then water started seeping out from under the toilet when we flushed it. They drained our septic tank & are now saying that we should have a gravel pit added.Is this necessary? We've been in this house for 10 years & never had a problem till now. Thanks!
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2010, 04:20 PM

If you have sewage seeping from under your toilet you have other issues as well. A failed wax ring seal for starters needs replaced. Not much of a septic system expert even though I grew up with one at the family house... per chance did they call the "gravel pit" a leechbed? They can and do get clogged up after enough years. When was your house built? And do you know if the leechbed was ever replaced?
    april1848 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2010, 05:28 PM
    Hi! Thanks for your response.Our house is almost 60 years old.This sounds terrible but we've lived here almost 11 years & never had the septic tank drained.We've also never had any problems with it until now. My small son had been flushing wipes down the toilet without us knowing it so my husband said when they drained it,there was a build up of baby wipes. I'm thinking that it will be o.k. now but they're insisting that we let them build the gravel pit. I obviously don't now a lot about plumbing & we don't want to spend $1300 on a gravel pit if we don't need to. Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 05:31 PM

I used them for years and put in a couple, but have no idea what they mean by "gravel pit" you have your tank, and then it leads out into the drain fields. Now the drain fields have gravel under them, and often those fill up over the years.
    But can be added if the drain of the tank does not work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

How close to a concrete septic tank & chamber septic field can I build a fence? [ 6 Answers ]

We want to build a chain link fence around our septic field in the back yard. The field consisits of the septic tank, main distribution line, and 10 chamber style leach lines, each 100 linear feet long, spaced at ten foot intervals. I need to know how close to the tank and chambers I can put the...

Septic tank [ 3 Answers ]

Can you put a septic tank in soil that has a high clay content? Would it be better to replace the clay with sandy soil?

Bubble noise in toilets, septic tanks just drained [ 7 Answers ]

Started about 2 weeks ago, both toilets, back to back rooms, started making bubbling noises, then would not flush. Let sit water in bowl goes down, let sit even longer I could flush a couple times normal then would start backing up again. Tub and sinks and everything seem to drain fine no problem....

Low pressure, hot water, backflushed, drained tank [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like a more thorough description of this if possible. I've done everything I can think of other than checking this nipple. My pipes look like copper. The house is about 15 years old. Water pressure was great one day and had dropped to about 1/4 or less the very next day (it didn't drop...

View more questions Search