Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jheaton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 05:30 PM
    Bonding Neutral to Ground at meter?
    Greetings all,

I've set out to replace my FPE stab-lok panel in my home. I'm trying to figure out if I should bond neutral and ground in the replacement panel. All of the reading I have done to-date is that you always bond in the first disconnect only. Simple enough. However, my situation is a bit different. Here is my setup.

My service comes in from the pole to a standard weatherhead, which runs into a meter box on the side of the house. This meter box has a ground rod driven in the ground next to it, and the wire attached to that rod goes into the meter box. I'm not sure of the internal connections on my meter without actually pulling it (which I'm hesitant to do), but I assume neutral is bonded to ground there.

From the meter, the feed goes into the ground in a protected conduit, and comes out the side of my basement wall and into the FPE breaker box as 3 insulated legs of #3 wire. The two hots terminate into the main 100A beaker, and the third is tied to a "shared" ground/neutral bar at the bottom of the panel.

To add to the fun, the two hots are spliced before the main breaker, which feed a 60A sub-panel for the basement... which gives me a maximum potential draw of 160A on the #3 wire. This subpanel will be eliminated with the replacement panel... another reason I want to finish this project!

So my question is... in the new panel, do I install the screw to bond the panel case to neutral or do I leave it float? Is it dangerous to bond neutral and ground at the meter, since it's not the main disconnect?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Aug 25, 2010, 05:39 PM

The neutral should be bonded in the main panel. This is also where your grounding electrodes and water bond should terminate.

The meter is also bonded but this is not a disconnect. In fact it is out of the scope of the NEC and is the power company's jurisdiction.
    jheaton Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2010, 05:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stanfortyman View Post
    The neutral should be bonded in the main panel. This is also where your grounding electrodes and water bond should terminate.

The meter is also bonded but this is not a disconnect. In fact it is out of the scope of the NEC and is the power company's jurisdiction.
    Thank you.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2010, 06:02 PM

Glad you are changing out the FPE panel... smart move. When I see them I shudder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Neutral And Ground Bonding [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing my oven. Service at the main breaker's bus bar has neutral and ground in the same bus bar. Since the wire to the old oven is Aluminum, I will run Aluminum wire to a sub panel and use copper wire from the breaker to the oven. Do I bond the neutral bar to the sub box? I don't...

Bonding neutral in a transformer [ 1 Answers ]

If you bond your neutral in a transformerdo have to bond your neutral in a panel.

Where is the neutral bonding on my generator [ 5 Answers ]

I purchased a milwaukee 4960-24 generator and need to remove the neutral bonding wire,any suggestions

Generator neutral ground bonding [ 6 Answers ]

I have a EU2000i generator for my 5th wheel. The trailer system is not bonded and the gen set is not bonded. I was told to make a short extension cord and bond the male plug so that the electrical will work properly. I would like to know if this will work safely.

Bonding of the neutral and ground [ 2 Answers ]

I currently have a subpanel coming from a main distro panel with my local power source being a Y connected generator. How many places/panels should the grounded and grounding conductors be bonded? I believe it is the first means of disconnect which is my MDP. All subpanels from that point on...

View more questions Search