Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jheinz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Access to bank accounts of deceased
    My mom recently died without a will I am the only living heir.
    How do I gain access to checking and savings accounts that are in her name only
    What do I need to just have the accounts put in my name or what is the easiest way to gain access legally to these accounts
    Thanks in advance for any help
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Nov 30, 2006, 12:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jheinz
    my mom recently died without a will i am the only living heir.
    how do i gain access to checking and savings accounts that are in her name only
    what do i need to just have the accounts put in my name or what is the easiest way to gain access legally to these accounts
    thanks in advance for any help
    I would ask the bank, but most certainly you will need a certified copy of her death certificate and perhaps a letter from the County / Parish Probate Court stating their has been no will filed. Best, easiest thing to do is ask the bank.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Are there property, how much money is there,

What will normally happen ( and each state in the US has various laws) and other nations have all sorts of different laws.

But without a will, it may or may not have to go into probate court.
    All money will be moved into an estate account. From that you will pay all of the last expenses, any outstanding debts, all credit cards, any utilitiy bills and the such.

After all bills are paid, any money left would go to the heirs, ( you if you are the only one)
    pangwutang Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2007, 12:52 AM
    When freezing a bank acount is it legal to freeze joint bank accounts in NY State?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing Bank Accounts [ 8 Answers ]

I had a few questions about garnishing bank accounts. My friend is a lawyer but only started her practice this year, so I would like another opinion since I'm reading several different things on here. Can a TN judgement garnish your bank account in another state? My friend stated that they...

Estate bank accounts [ 12 Answers ]

I ‘m trying to help a love one. They need to open estate bank accounts for a late brother’s estate. They are the volunteer administrator of estate. The only thing in the brother’s estate was about $2200.00. They have withdrawn the money from his account. I was told that they need to open an estate...

How to access the account of deceased [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My father expired last month. I would like to enable my mom to access the savings bank account that he held in Vijaya Bank. Could anyone please help me with the formalities. My father has not nominated anyone for the account. Thanks Guru

Freezing Bank Accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, When freezing a bank acount is it legal to freeze joint bank accounts in NY State?

Attachment of bank accounts [ 1 Answers ]

What is the difference in freeze vs attach a bank account? Under what conditions can this be done? Is there any fore warning when this is to be done? What are the ways to get around this saga?

View more questions Search