Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cruisinfj Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2010, 05:31 PM
    building a deck over existing concrete slab
    I have a rough concrete slab roughly 10x10. My question is can I build a wood deck over this? The space between the bottom of the door to the top of the slab would only allow me to use a 2x6 as a ledger and 2x4's as joists. If I space the 2x4's closer together then normal will this work. I plan on building the deck just longer than the slab so I can put two 4x4's in the corners opposite the house. Thank you.
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Jun 30, 2010, 11:01 AM

A bearing deck would have it's joists laid directly on top of the slab (these are called sleepers). Normally, a slab is not level (for drainage purposes). Therefore, the bottom of each joist for the deck needs to be cut at the angle of the slab to make the deck level. Posts or other support are not normally needed in this case. The joists would be attached by a perimeter board called a band board. I would lay 15 lb. roofing felt down on the slab.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 5, 2010, 07:58 PM

You could put the legs into those concrete leg holders that would rest directly on the slab. This would prevent rot to the bottom of the posts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pouring concrete slab over existing one [ 1 Answers ]

I am about to remodel my bathroom which is very small. The biggest problem I have is the concrete slab is not level and because of this over the years we have had several tolets broken. The only way to level it is to basically raise the toilet a few inches so we can have a level place for the tolit...

Pouring concrete over existing slab [ 1 Answers ]

I need to pour 4 inches of concrete onto a 6 inch re-inforced slab. I don't think I need to add reo to the additional 4" but I'd like some assurance please.

Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted

Rearranging plumbing on existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks: Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give. :) We knocked out a closet to enlarge our bathroom from 4'8"x9'6" to 7'2"x9'6". Our old plumbing (vanity, toilet & shower) were all arranged on the 9'6" north wall. Please see the top picture. The drawing shows how we'd like...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

View more questions Search