Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gowest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2005, 07:51 AM
    Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes?
    Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for sound attenuation, etc.), but should we use cast iron for the horizontal runs as well? In other words, should ALL the waste/drain pipes be cast iron? That's what I was planning to do initially, but then a friend recommended doing the horizontal runs in PVC and the vertical drops in cast iron (something about standing water in the horizontal runs potentially damaging/corroding the cast iron), but I don't like the idea of switching back and forth between cast iron and PVC. What is the "best" way to do it (without regard to cost) -- all cast iron? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2005, 08:21 AM
    Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes?
    Quote Originally Posted by gowest
    Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for sound attenuation, etc.), but should we use cast iron for the horizontal runs as well? In other words, should ALL the waste/drain pipes be cast iron? That's what I was planning to do initially, but then a friend recommended doing the horizontal runs in PVC and the vertical drops in cast iron (something about standing water in the horizontal runs potentially damaging/corroding the cast iron), but I don't like the idea of switching back and forth between cast iron and PVC. What is the "best" way to do it (without regard to cost) -- all cast iron? Thanks!
    My opinion? PVC all the way. Cast iron will rust, flake and is more difficult to work with then PVC. As for the sound, in all the years of using PVC we have never had a complaint about noise from the drainage lines, however, on second thought, most of our houses are one story on a slab.

Good luck on your remodel. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2005, 08:52 AM
    I have to back Tom on this one. Ordinary insulation batts will go a long ways toward eliminating the Archie Bunker effect.
    gowest Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Thanks for the quick responses. Just so I'm clear, are you recommending 100% PVC waste/drains? I really was convinced that I ought to have cast iron drops between the floors, and frankly I'm still leaning that way. I've been in homes that have PVC waste pipes and you can hear the water in the walls after someone flushes a toilet upstairs. I don't want any chance of that happening. I understand that insulation can help eliminate the noise, but I've also heard from folks that insulated their PVC pipes and it only helped a little. So here's what I'm thinking: cast iron vertical drops and PVC everywhere else. Does that sound good to you all? Thanks again. I really do appreciate your help and advice.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2005, 11:02 AM
    You might look into heavier walled PVC. It is very important to use the longer radius, smoother DVW fittings for drains. However PVC is also available in standard pipe meant for pressure lines which has a much heavier, sound absorbing wall. For over kill, see if you can find schedule 80. Don't expect to find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. I know when I was managing a factory, we used 6'' and 8'' schedule 80 PVC. I was wanting more impact resistance than pressure.
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 31, 2005, 10:19 PM
    PVC for sure... As mentioned insulation can dampen any water noise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

Hairline fracture cast iron waste line [ 1 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I am installing a bathroom in the basement. Recently cut a section out of my 4 inch main line under the basement slab which is cast iron. The cast iron was installed in the 1930's and of course is old and brittle. Unfortunately, my first cut was made with a reciprocating...

Disconnecting cast iron pipes. Neo gasket [ 5 Answers ]

I am installing a bath and shower. The bathroom didin't have a bath install. The shower drains into the main 4" drain (cast iron), which also services the toilet. I want to run the bath and shower drain inline to the main drain. I am having a problem with removing the cast iron section from the...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search