Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scotty13 Posts: 120, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2010, 10:35 AM
    What痴 the diff between high blood pressure and vertigo?
    About 4 weeks ago, I had a sinus head cold for about 10 days. I took Sudafed for 4 days and it went away. Three weeks after that, I get out of bed and the room is spinning. I知 on day 8 and still have dizzy spells when I get up. Blood pressure runs around 157/101. I went to the doctors this past Monday and he tells me I have high blood pressure (it does run in the family).

Prescription drug right now I知 taking is Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide 10-12.5 mg.

So, what is the difference?

Thanks, Scotty13
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 11:00 AM

I think there is a warning on the Sudafed box that people with high blood pressure should not take it. Yes, your blood pressure is high at l57/l0l so why aren't your meds stabilizing your blood pressure and bringing it down to normal, say l20/60?

No relation between high blood pressure and vertigo unless you have taken a substance or a med that does not interact favourably with your high blood pressure medication. Simple.

If your blood pressure is not under control, you are on the wrong medication. You owe it to yourself to get out of the stroke range and discuss this with your doctor.

Tick

May 26, 2010, 11:06 AM

I just started my meds 2 days ago. I stopped the Sudafed 3 weeks ago and the dizzy spells started 8 days ago.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty13 View Post
    About 4 wks ago, I had a sinus head cold for about 10 days. I took Sudafed for 4 days and it went away. Three weeks after that, I get out of bed and the room is spinning. I知 on day 8 and still have dizzy spells when I get up. Blood pressure runs around 157/101. I went to the doctors this past Monday and he tells me I have high blood pressure (it does run in the family).

Prescription drug right now I知 taking is Lisinopril / Hydrochlorothiazide 10-12.5 mg.

So, what is the difference?

Thanks, Scotty13
    Scotty,

Here is a link to info on Lisinopril. Please click on "side effects" and review.
    Lisinopril Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

May 26, 2010, 12:51 PM

Thank You
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrBill100 View Post
    Scotty,

Here is a link to info on Lisinopril. Please click on "side effects" and review.
    Lisinopril Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
    DrBill, the first thing I do before answering a post is review the med if mentioned by the poster. I don't know how your link answers the OPs question. That is the reason I didn't provide this link for Lisinopril. The OPs dizzy spells are the reason he posted. We can't diagnose or recommend, but it is my feeling that the OP is under medicated and the Sudafed didn't help although it has been a while since he took it.

To the OP, by a personal blood pressure monitor so you can test your 'rising' blood pressure, that is when you get up before activity. That is your true blood pressure.

Tick
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

May 26, 2010, 01:17 PM

When I first started to have high blood pressure, it just came up, out of the blue. I got dizzy, and then went to the doctor to get started on medicine. Then the medicine made me feel light- headed for a month or so. Just bear with it, and be careful making sudden head moves. It got better for me.

If hope that helps.
    Expert

May 26, 2010, 01:19 PM

It would be interesting to know what other meds the OP is on, it might help with some ideas. That is other long term medications for pre existing medical conditions other then cold medication.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High Blood Pressure [ 7 Answers ]

Hello My boyfriend has high blood pressure and is very tired all the time. Is this normal?

Low water pressure causing high blood pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I have low or no hot water pressure to the downstairs bathroom. I've replaced the cartridges, valves and hot water heater, still no pressure... help.

High Blood Pressure [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a senior citizen, was told in the past month I have High Blood pressure my medication Lisinopril 20mg 2 daily Toprol XL 50mg 1 daily ? My pulse rate has come down quite a bit, my Blood pressure has come down a little In my limited knowledge, I thought when the heart didn't pump...

High Blood Pressure [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I have high blood pressure when I eat a meal I have very high readings every time I have a meal It looks like sodium is causing the problems, I am on blood pressure medicine not really getting any help from my doctor,help me please

View more questions Search