Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MotoXXX Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 02:41 AM
    401K Early Withdrawl
    My wife will not listen to me! She feels that we need the money from a previous employers 401K plan to help with paying our bills since she doesn't make much money anymore. She only has about $8,000.00 in there and according to the way I see it, she will need to have 20% fed. Tax withheld, and 8% Oregon State tax withheld, plus the 10% early withdrawl penalty. According to my figures that leaves about $5000.00 net for her, or 38% deducted. Am I correct? or is it 28% total? (Tax + Penalty)
    bgk200127 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoXXX
    My wife will not listen to me! She feels that we need the money from a previous employers 401K plan to help with paying our bills since she doesn't make much money anymore. She only has about $8,000.00 in there and according to the way I see it, she will need to have 20% fed. tax withheld, and 8% Oregon State tax withheld, plus the 10% early withdrawl penalty. According to my figures that leaves about $5000.00 net for her, or 38% deducted. Am I correct?, or is it 28% total? (Tax + Penalty)
    My personal advice based on my own experience is to not touch it with a ten foot pole. I dipped in to mine for the same reason and it has caused me nothing but problems with the IRS.
    paulcontessa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 04:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoXXX
    My wife will not listen to me! She feels that we need the money from a previous employers 401K plan to help with paying our bills since she doesn't make much money anymore. She only has about $8,000.00 in there and according to the way I see it, she will need to have 20% fed. tax withheld, and 8% Oregon State tax withheld, plus the 10% early withdrawl penalty. According to my figures that leaves about $5000.00 net for her, or 38% deducted. Am I correct?, or is it 28% total? (Tax + Penalty)
    You are confusing the two. The 28 percent is the withholding and is just an estimate. Your actual tax may be more or less. You may receive a refund if you are not working. The penalty applies unless you meet one of the exemptions. The penalty is not always withheld. You should check with the manager of the retirement plan.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2006, 06:10 AM
    While the penalty may not be withheld, it will be due. Also the plan admin will only withhold federal taxes, not local ones. But the automatic 20% is just withholding. It doesn't represent your actual tax liability which depends on your income. The $8K will be added to your taxable income and might push you to a higher bracket.

Withdrawal of 401K money should be saved as a last resort.
    MotoXXX Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    While the penalty may not be withheld, it will be due. Also the plan admin will only withhold federal taxes, not local ones. But the automatic 20% is just withholding. It doesn't represent your actual tax liability which depends on your income. The $8K will be added to your taxable income and might push you to a higher bracket.

Withdrawal of 401K money should be saved as a last resort.
    As far as it being a "last resort" I couldn't agree more, I just can't get it through my wife's head! She already had the papers sent to her and the way I understand it they are withholding 10% fed. Tax, 8% Oregon State tax, and it says nothing about the penalty at all, so it will be due at tax time apparently. We are getting by with her making less money now, but our savings acct. keeps getting smaller in order to live and keep all the bills paid. I would rather sell my RV or whatever, rather than make the mistake that she is about to make.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2006, 04:59 PM
    Unfortunately its her money so she can do with it what she wants. You can show her this thread and others where the advice is almost universal to leave 401K money alone. You can search the WEB and find articles by respected financial advisors that say the same thing and show them to her. But ultimately its her decision.

On her side, it my provide her with greater piece of mind to have a cushion now, even at the large cost.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdrawal of 401k for cc debt [ 19 Answers ]

I am 36years old and have approximately $57, 000 in a 401k plan I was awarded in my divorce 2 years ago. I want to pay off some debt by withdrawing $17,000 from the plan. My current job offers a 401k but I have not since participated in it. I really want to be debt free since I have a new start...

401k early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

The plant that I currently work at is closing down. I have a 401(k) that currently has $16,000 in it. I am 48 years old. What kind of penalties am I looking at if I pull all the money out when the plant closes? Approximately how much in taxes will I be paying at the end of the year? I have made...

401K early withdrawal [ 4 Answers ]

I am in a 401K plan at my work and have been advised our company does not have it where you can get a loan. I need to make withdrawl funds from my 401k to handle some legal fees for a custody battle. Can I just and pay a penalty?

401k early withdrawal or hardship? [ 9 Answers ]

I need $22500.00 to pay off debts. Why do I have to qualify in order to get my money when I have $54,000.00 in my 401k. I need to pay off debt not pay for funeral.. If I don't pay off my debts I am looking at losing my home in the near future as they raise my interest rate from 8% to 11 %. How can...

Early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I took a 401K withdrawl to pay for daughters college. I paid it back while employed. I changed jobs and I was issued a 1099-R as income from the unpaid balance of the original withdrawl. Question is: Can the 10% penalty be waived for early withdrawl from 401K or is relief only applicable with...

View more questions Search