Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danmalleck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Furnace on but no heat coming out of vents
    Hi. I have a natural gas furnace that's about 7 years old, in a house I just bought this summer. Today I was noticing that it was pretty cold, so I turned up the furnace. It went on, but after a while I noticed that there was no air coming from the vents. I tried to turn it off and on again but there was no change. I'm not quite sure what's wrong, but it seems to me that it's a circulation problem. When I checked the furnace, I wasn't sure what I was looking for to see if it's working. There is no heat coming off it, but it's definitely doing something because it's humming along as normal. Does the switch I have to the furnace from my fuse box control the furnace power, or just the power of the fan? If I turn it off and then on again, will that mess up my pilot light and be risky? (I had some friends over and one of them may have turned that switch off, thinking it was a light switch--that is a possibility if that switch just controls the fan). As you can tell, I know little about my furnace... until now, I lived in blissful ignorance. Thanks for any help. Dan.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2006, 07:58 PM
    As a new home owner, you need to remember that you are entitled to a house where things like the furnace works. Maybe the best thing is to call the Realtor that sold you the house tomorrow. As the sellers agent, the Realtor can work with the seller to send a technician out to fix it. If you get blown off, call the lawyer that you had at closing.

Don't worry about the pilot light. If it had one, it wouldn't go off if it lost power. The switch supplies power to the furnace controls as well as the blower. If you have central air, the outside unit will be on a separate breaker.

If you browse through heating and cooling, you will see such problems often are cause by dirty or bad sensors.
    danmalleck Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Thanks. I opened the door to the furnace to see if the pilot light was on and the furnace turned itself off (some sort of safety switch). When I put the door back on, the whole thing fired up and then, soon afterwards, the burners were burning and the heat was coming out. It was odd, but I felt like I had some kind of magic touch... cheers. Dan
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Dec 22, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Not uncommon for it to work after the power was cut to it, as was done when you removed and replaced the door. This problem will no doubt resurface shortly. Most likely after the furnace shuts down and tries to restart. Several things can cause the problem ( Circuit board likely). Best to have it looked at to make sure it's operating properly...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer gas smell coming from vents in home. [ 2 Answers ]

About a month ago a bad smell started coming from our venting inside our home. It smelled like a big toilet. We had someone come look inside our venting and nothing. We had someone come and check our furnace and nothing. And It doesn't smell everyday either.. right now it smells terrible but...

Clicking heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new house and the heat has just started to come on during the night. The Air vent in our room makes a loud clicking noise as it heats up and cools down. Is there A way to STOP the clicking before we go insane? Thanks!

Furnace motor runs but no air coming from registers [ 11 Answers ]

Have a Goodman GUPS 100-3 Furnace. I can hear the motor turn on when the temp goes below where the thermostat is set - but no air is being blown through the vents. (I have a forced air systerm.) The vents are OK since my air conditioning unit goes through the same vents. The pilot light stays on...

Cold Air is coming from my Carrier Gas Pack Unit and I need Heat [ 0 Answers ]

I have a carrier gas pack unit and the cooling part works properly. It's starting to get cold, so I turned on the heat, but only cold air blows out of it. I've contacted my gas company and they said there is no pilot light, so there is no way it could've gone out, and theytold me I should contact...

Musky odor coming from heat vents [ 1 Answers ]

We installed a humidifier to our furnace in February. Could it be causing the musky odor that we periodically get from the vents? What is funny about it is that the smell is not there 24/7 and when it is present it comes more from one or two vents only. If that makes any sense.

View more questions Search