Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PJHawk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 11:29 AM
    How much time between kittens being born
    My cat went into labour this morning, had one kitten (healthy) 2 1/2 hours ago. The mom looked uncomfortable for a while after birth (thought there were more coming), but she just went and had some food and water. She went back to her nesting area, picked up the new kitten and started walking around with it in her mouth (obviously looking for a new space), but she returned to her original spot. Really strange behaviour, but now she doesn't look uncomfortable or even that's still in labour. There are obviously more kittens waiting to be born. I also noticed a small white worm near her butt and removed it. She's about a year old, and this is her first litter. I've been watching her closely, which she doesn't seem to mind, but she's meowing when I'm around her. Is all of this normal behaviour, or should I just let her go where she wants to go? She's normally an inside cat, but has even "asked" to go outside (which, of course, I didn't let her). Any answers would be a great help! Thanks.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 15, 2010, 11:40 AM

Some cats just can't handle being watched while they give birth. They can even stop labor when they feel they don't have enough privacy, and start again the next day. As long as she's taking care of the kitten she's already had, and doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, let her be.

Keep her inside. Let her roam around and look for a new nesting spot. Do your best to ignore her. She'll have the other kittens, it just may not happen until tomorrow.
    PJHawk Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2010, 12:44 PM

Thank you! That is exactly what happened! I left the room (they are in the closet) and she had 2 more! Seems that the situation has calmed down now. Thanks for the support!
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Apr 15, 2010, 12:54 PM

Cats have to be able to stop labor to avoid danger in the wild. What a domestic cat sees as danger, can vary from cat to cat.

When my cat gave birth she got upset when she couldn't see me. She's also left it up to me to move them and make sure they're all in the nest and no one's wandered off.

Sounds like your cat is more independent. She'll probably move them every time you find her new nest. For that reason, you'll need to do your best to keep her inside. You don't want her deciding that they'll be safer under your neighbor's rose bush.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is male cat harmful to new born kittens [ 8 Answers ]

I have a female cat giving birth as I type, we also have a male cat from her last litter which are still kittens 6 months old, what I'm worried about is if I should keep the male kitten away from the new born kittens or will he be OK around them.

Are kittens born with fleas? [ 3 Answers ]

My cat had 4 kittens a week ago. Now I have seen a black thing what I don't think is a flea and looks more like a mini forky tail bug , but I have been told all kittens are born with fleas and I am on he verge of a break down as I have 2 cats and no spare cash to pay for frontline as that is what I...

New born kittens [ 2 Answers ]

My cat is due any day to have her kittens wondering what signs to look for and how long before we can handle them.also how many will she have for her first litter.any info on this subject would be helpful.thanks:)

Kittens born last night [ 2 Answers ]

Hi!!! My cat just gave birth to 4 beautiful babies last night but I am unsure of how to take care of them.... my main question is how can I be sure she is feeding them and should I avoid contact with them so she doesnt abandon them and should I keep the male (recently neutered) away from them???...

View more questions Search