Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 10, 2010, 05:59 PM
    Hair loss just on ears
    My kitty seems to be losing the fur on the back of her ears. It's not happening anywhere else. The rest of her fur is still soft and thick.

The back of her ears are about half-bald now. The skin doesn't look raw or irritated, just naked. She doesn't seem bothered by it. She hasn't been scratching her ears or anything. The fur just isn't there.

I've seen animals with mange. This doesn't look like that. It's not spreading to other parts of her body.

I know humans can experience hair loss during pregnancy. Can cats go through the same thing? She's very pregnant.

Any ideas what this could be?

I don't have the money right now to take her to a vet. Since it doesn't seem to be affecting her health, or otherwise bothering her, I'm more curious than worried.

KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 11, 2010, 11:39 PM

Have thyroid tests done.
    Experts

Mar 12, 2010, 12:07 AM

I don't have the money for that right now.

I found info that says cats can experience hair loss due to stress and/or pregnancy and nursing. She is pregnant. She also just got a new home, which meant a change in diet, location, and not being allowed outside anymore. I think stress is a reasonable assumption.

If it gets worse, or doesn't clear up once the kittens are born and weaned, then I'll get tests done when I take her to get fixed. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or bothered by it, and her coat is otherwise very healthy, so I don't think it's a skin problem.

I'll continue to keep a close eye on her. If she seems to be getting sick or stops eating, then I'll try to get her to a vet. I need to start saving up to get her fixed, anyway.
    Experts

Mar 12, 2010, 12:31 AM

She doesn't have any of the other signs of hypo- or hyperthyroidism. No over eating or drinking. She doesn't over or under groom. Her coat is shiny and thick and healthy everywhere but her ears. She's not losing weight.

The two symptoms of thyroid problems she does have, are more easily attributed to pregnancy. She's gained weight, but she's pregnant. She's lazy, but not listless. She's a cat, and she's pregnant, lazy is to be expected.

If she starts exhibiting any other signs of thyroid problems, or her health or habits change, I'll try to get her to a vet.

Money's just tight right now. I just moved into a new apartment and am trying to figure out how much everything will cost and making sure I have all the basics for maintaining a household. Once I have all the monthly expenses taken care of for this month, I'm going to start putting money aside to get her fixed and vetted. After that I'll do the same for the kittens.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 03:46 AM

Hypothyroidism in a cat is rare. And that doesn't sound like hyperthyroidism.

It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a pregnant cat (since I was a kid), but if stress and pregnancy can cause that, it wouldn't surprise me if that's it. She's definitely had a lot of stress.

Most "bug" type things that cause hair loss are going to cause itching and redness, patches, that sort of thing. There can be hair loss with food allergies. And some other more rare things. I think I'd just keep an eye on it for a bit. If you do see any signs of irritation, redness, etc. I'd try real hard to get her to the vet, especially given that could be something contagious. (Although just scratching in and of itself can be dry skin as well, though my "dry cat" has gotten over his dry spell at this point.)
    Experts

Mar 13, 2010, 12:28 PM

The skin isn't red, puffy, dry, or otherwise irritated, and she hasn't been scratching a lot. I haven't even seen any sign of fleas, and I've looked. All of which makes me thing it isn't a parasite or skin problem.

She started shedding her undercoat, but that doesn't explain why her ears are bald.

If it is an allergy, then I'll find out soon enough. I bought food when I brought her home, but have since found one that will not only be easier on my wallet, but at a store I can walk to. If, after a week or so on that food, her fur starts to grow back, then I'll know it's a food allergy and not buy the other brand anymore.
    Experts

Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 PM

Thanks, guys, for the suggestions. They give me something to look for. Once I research the symptoms, I can keep an eye out for more of them showing up. I didn't really have any idea where to start, before.
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2010, 09:57 PM

Just as a note, sometimes a food allergy can take a couple of months to... um, make itself known. That is, stop doing what it's doing. (Not sure how to say that.) I doubt you'd notice anything in a week.

But I am inclined to more think it's stress. The food thing was just an idea I threw out there.
    Experts

Mar 14, 2010, 10:12 PM

Well, I don't plan on switching back to the brand I have now. Once this bag is used up, which should be by the end of the week, I'll start feeding her the other one.

I only got this one (I can't remember the brand, and I don't feel like getting up to check) because walmart's cat food selection sucked, and I needed to get her food. It was the only brand that wasn't $6/+ for a 3lb bag. There's a dollar general about a block away that has 15lb bags of cat food for $7-$10. Not only is it cheaper than walmart's $20 for a big bag, but I won't have to find a ride or take the bus.
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 12:13 AM

If it were a food allergy (though I use the term 'allergy' lightly), almost any dry food would have the ingredients that are common to this, so switching would probably not solve anything. So hopefully it's just the stress.
    Experts

Mar 17, 2010, 11:59 PM

it must've just been the stress of a new home and everything else. She lost almost all the hair on her ears, but there's already a very fine downy fuzz growing back ^_^

it took almost 3 weeks, but I think she's finally decided to keep me. She still doesn't like to be held or to sit on your lap, but she's finally OK sitting next to me for longer than 30 seconds.
    mary9301 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
    Our pregnant cat (a stray we've been feeding for over a year and finally convinced to stay inside) is very close to being due and has also just gone bald on her ears. She's very healthy looking for a stray and also has shiny, healthy fur everywhere but her ears. Did you ever find out what it was? Did the fur grow back after a while?
    Experts

Mar 13, 2012, 12:57 PM
    Yeah. I think it was just the combination of the stress of pregnancy and the new environment, and the change in food. The fur grew back after a couple weeks.
    R Parker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2015, 04:03 AM
    Hi hhealth,

How are your cat's ears? I have a male who exhibited same problems with hair loss on his ears. At first I thought it was ringworm but he tested negative. Then I put him on Royal Canin HP for two whole months and it did not get better. Then on regular food the hair just grew back. Now I have a spayed female who is losing the hair on her nose but there are sores, so I am treating her with clotrimazole (ringworm). Would love to hear if your cat's hair loss came back after the pregnancy. Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does hair dye cause hair loss? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I just wonder if hair dye causes a hair loss. My wife dyed her hair tow months ago and over the last three weeks she is having a hair loss. She went to see a doctor and all the blood test were fine. She was given some tablets and a shampoo to use a twice a week to wash her hair. Could anyone...

Hair loss due to hair dye [ 14 Answers ]

I feel sooo terible, I used dye called (biegen, I think) it is very cheap, I did not like the color so I used around 3 boxes in a week to change the color now my hair is very dry and is falling like crazy especially at the front I can see my scalp now, what should I do would my hair grow back or...

Can dying your hair darker cause hair thinning or loss? [ 2 Answers ]

Can coloring your hair cause it to thin? I have had significant thinning, maybe 20% and it not only seemed to start a year and a half ago when I first started to color my hair, but I noticed more loss right within a few days of having it colored. I haven't had it colored now for about 3 months, and...

Hair loss due to hair coloring [ 2 Answers ]

Can certains types of hair color cause cause hair loss? A cheaper hair color? >Moved from Forum Help<

View more questions Search