Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoshuaMB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 06:38 PM
    How to Shut Off Hot Water/ Water in house.
    Hi. I need to replace an upstairs sink hot water valve to a sink. I found and turned off the water to the house on the outside of the house. It did turn down the water pressure but never shut the water off completely, and all the household faucets would still provide both hot and cold water...
    Is the outside valve not shutting all the way? I was advised not to crank it open or closed too forcefully or it might break, so I didn't close it tight- could it still be open enough to provide water thruout the house?
    Do I need to drain the hot water heater if I want to work on the hot water side of the pipes?
    I am trying to replace the sink hot water valve because it is a one piece design with the hose to the sink pressed on to the currrent valve- I want to install a normal valve and separate hose to sink so that I can install a Y splitter to feed a Bidet off the hot water side of the sink- the cold water side has a normal valve that allows it to have a Y connector installed on the other side of the valve to feed the bidet cold water.
    It is an add on bidet and connects to the toilet seat itself.
    Thank you!
    Morrowrj Posts: 345, Reputation: 22

Dec 11, 2006, 06:54 PM
    I would be careful turning an outside main, deending on age it could break easily. Did you check your hot water tank for inlet/outlet valves ?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 11, 2006, 07:32 PM
    You don't need to drain the hot water tank, only make sure water is free to flow in and out either the inlet or outlet. Normally that is taken care of by the inlet, but will not be if you manage to shut the main valve off. If you have a stop under the sink, or a shut off on the hot water tank, you can leave the main valve on, allowing water to flow in and out of it, and shut the hot water off after the tank just as in normal use. If you have to shut off the main valve which doesn't sound like will work, or a valve on the inlet, then turn the gas to pilot or shut the electricity off to the tank. Leave a hot water tap open somewhere so water can flow in and out of the tank.

When you are done, close the hot water tap you left open, and immediately open the cold water you shut off. Open a hot water tap to allow any air that worked its way in out again. When the tank is full and has the cold water line open, turn the gas or electricity back on. Remember, either the inlet or the outlet and a tap must be open at all times. Water expands and contracts with temperature changes. It has to go somewhere.
    JoshuaMB Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2006, 07:40 PM
    Thank you for your answers...
    Is it possible that I did not turn off the main line valve tight enough?
    I was warned against over doing it so I may have not done it tight enough as a result.
    If I shut off the main line, all water should stop (or slow to only a residual trickle) at all faucets, both hot and cold, right?
    I was confused as to whether shutting off the main line would also stop the hot water left in the hot water heater... It will- correct?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 12, 2006, 11:23 AM
    Shutting off the house shut off shuts down everything. Regards, Tom
    eagleflite1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2012, 09:43 PM
    I drained my hot water tank and disconnected the supply line but water is still flowing from a hot water valve near the tank. What's causing this?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2012, 06:50 AM
    Hi Eagleflite1

The issue could be a cross over connection such as a single lever faucet/valve allowing some cold water to cross back over into your hot water supply. Culprits famous for this are any single handle faucets, shower valves, and washing machine valves. You could also have an expansion issue here, but I doubt that right now.

To get you moving again, you may need to shut off the cold main water supply to your home... should stop flow after you drain everything. Be careful of touching the main water supply if it is super old... sometimes they won't turn back on... ;)

You can try to isolate the cross over connection later if you want.

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Leaking hot water, outside the house [ 1 Answers ]

One of my husband's friends is having this problem. The kitchen sink has some sort of pipe that vents to the outside wall of the house. The sink is set up against this wall. The pipe on the outside of the house is dripping hot water, in a fairly steady stream. If any faucet in the house is turned...

Shut of water to house and not boiler [ 3 Answers ]

We have a boiler. When we are not home we would like to shut off the water in the house. We have had conflicting opinions about the boiler. We were told that if we shut off water to the boiler and there are any pin hole leaks in the system, eventually the boiler could "dry fire" and have...

No hot water to whole house :eek: [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! I have a problem with the hot water in my house... there isn't any. :eek: We have a tankless system, as opposed to a separate hot water heater. Over the years, the pressure of our hot water has decreased, now to the point where there is virtually no pressure and no hot water in any of the...

Low hot water pressure in house [ 1 Answers ]

Hot water pressure low from relatively new gas hot water heater. House built in 1914... not the best in pipes, but any ideas on improving pressure. Have good valve from water pipe. Suggestions?:confused:

View more questions Search