Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doitherself Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2010, 06:56 PM
    how long do you wait after laying 12 x 12 tile before you can you walk on it?
    how long do you wait after laying 12 x 12 tile before you can you walk on it?
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 04:36 AM

What type of tile? Type of adhesive used?

Need more info.

Chuck
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 14, 2010, 02:17 PM

12 to 24 hours with 24 hours being the best amount of time.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 03:09 PM
    pattyg2

I agree with u if installing ceramic tile.

For carpet tile, which is usually dry laid no tme limit.

For vinyl tile depending on adhesive one hour

Chuck
    mtconc Posts: 119, Reputation: 9

Feb 14, 2010, 06:18 PM

Most thinset states on the bag.. 24 hrs
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Feb 14, 2010, 06:48 PM

Ok so what tile is this guy laying??

Feb 17, 2010, 05:59 PM

12 X 12 ceramic tile using regular thinset mortar I picked up at HD. I'm laying it over "hardeeback"(?? )

Feb 17, 2010, 06:10 PM
    It is 12 X 12 ceramic tile and I'm laying it on hardeeback(? ) cement board. I've got just regular thinset mortar.

Feb 17, 2010, 06:10 PM
    It is 12 X 12 ceramic tile and I'm laying it on hardeeback(? ) cement board. I've got just regular thinset mortar.
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 17, 2010, 07:21 PM
    OK, OK, we got it!

You can get on the tile the next morning to grout. Basically 14-16 hours is a reasonable time to wait unless the room is cold or the installer is a big person. Once grouted you can do the final cleanup the next day and open the area for light traffic. Seal the grout after 2-3 days.

Just for clarification for those lurking, you should have;

Checked the subfloor and joists system for suitability to receive ceramic tiles. Spread thin set on the ply and installed your Hardie backer using roofing nails or proper screws, then tape and thin set all seams. Finally install the tiles using a modified thin set mortar that comes in a bag and you mixed with water.

Jaz

Feb 17, 2010, 08:18 PM
    Sorry for the triple answer... I was having trouble getting it to post...
    My subfloor and joists are OK I believe. Subfloor looks to be 2 layers of 1/2 inch or so of plywood (total just over an inch) from what I can see through the old plumbing holes and joists are 2x8 spaced about 16 inches apart. Is it important to put thinset between the subfloor and the backerboard? That is the only missing part. We've already put the hardie backer down... we did use the recommended screws...
    JazMan Posts: 219, Reputation: 14

Feb 17, 2010, 09:12 PM
    I was just kidding about your triple post.

Setting ALL backers into fresh thin set mortar is imperative. If you don't, you're likely to develop hairline cracks within a short time. You may not see these at first. You'll have obvious cracks in 5 years or so max.

Jaz

Feb 19, 2010, 04:31 PM
    So... I should take the backer board up and put the thinset under it... man... that stuff was hard to get screwed down... I don't think he will take it up... since he already put it down...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laying Large Ceramic Tile [ 9 Answers ]

We are having 20 by 20 tile laid on our concrete floor in the basement (new constructyion) It is done in the brick pattern. After it has been grouted I have noticed that there are many low or high areas where the corners meet against the middle of the tile in the next row. Is this normal? I am...

Laying tile [ 3 Answers ]

I am laying tile in my laundry room and the floor rolls towards the drain hole in the floor starting about 12 inches from the drain. I'm using 16x16 tile and would like some sugestions on how to make the tile "ROLL" with the floor.. thank you.

Laying Porcelain tile? [ 3 Answers ]

I am laying porcelain tile on bathroom walls in shower, should I put metal mesh against wall to hold tile up better.

Laying 12" tile on diagonal [ 12 Answers ]

I think I got it. The marks from the other flooring can still be seen so I based my points off that and pretended I was just laying tile. I dry fit them and have a few adjustments but I think it turned out pretty well on the first try. I was going to lay them straight and already had the tiles cut...

View more questions Search