Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    OceanGirlinTN Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 07:16 AM
    Crazy Boyfriend trying to kick my out... What are my rights?
    OK... I have been living in a townhouse for 3 1/2 with my boyfriend. He had the place before I moved in, so only his name is on the lease. I have asked a couple times to be placed on the lease, but then thought better of it because I don't want my name attached to his in legal/financial matters. I have been paying 1/2 the rent and utilities since the day I moved in. I also take care of the trash collection by myself, so the bill comes in my name to the address. What rights do I have to the residence without my name being on the lease? Can my boyfriend kick me out with no notice? If he does so, what right would I have to any property I still have in the home?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Dec 5, 2006, 07:22 AM
    Since your name is not on the lease you are a subtenant on a month-to-month basis. Your boyfriend has to give you a minimum of 30 days written notice to leave. If you haven't left by then he can file a lawsuit to evict you. If you have property inside the house and you can prove that you paid for it then you are entitled to keep it.

If your boyfriend tries to kick you out or change the locks without proper notice then call the police. They will force him to let you back in. However I strongly suggest that you start looking immediately for a new place to live.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2006, 07:35 PM
    He can serve notice to have you evicted. The usual standard is 30 days. You have the right to take any of your personal property from the house with you.
    beenthrualot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 07:04 AM
    Just want to tell you that same situation happened to me. My boyfriend had me to move with him because he prmised to marry me after six months. I left my good job in another city and moved in with him. Eight months gone by and I asked him are you going to marry me ? He came up with all kinds of excuses. All he had to tell me that No I made a mistake but he is not man enough to admit. He tried to make is very difficult for me. Rejecting me and sleeping on the couch . I am still unemployed and he told me that this is not good and you need to move out. I have a seven year old daughter . I moved out for few days and stayed with my girlfriend . It was not easy. I decided to swallow my pride and come home because legally I have right to stay here for 30 days. I get mail here and I pay 1/2 of expenses related to this house.
    Some men could be cruel. I would never make that mistake. I am hoping to get a job soon.
    Jefferyrepko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2012, 07:28 AM
    I have been living with my girlfriend for 6 year the relationship went bad and she kicked me out what do I do
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferyrepko View Post
    i have been living with my girlfriend for 6 year the relationship went bad and she kicked me out what do i do

What do you do about what?

Getting back your belongings? Moving back in? Something else?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Sep 2, 2012, 03:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferyrepko View Post
    i have been living with my girlfriend for 6 year the relationship went bad and she kicked me out what do i do
    Did she literally kick you out, or did she demand that you leave and you left?
    karen r Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2013, 05:52 PM
    Do I have any rights I have not worked in ten years my boyfriend has been supporting me for ten years and I have been living with him in calif. I have no family no where to go
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
    Rights to what?
    quelinda33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2014, 11:58 PM
    I've been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 4 1/2 years and I recently moved in on September. I kept my apt until December because everything was going well. But the minute I turned my key in we started having problems and now in the middle of winter he wants to kick me and my children out in the streets I have a 14 year old and 5 year old. He also got into an accident using my vehicle so he let me use his car and now he took the keys from me too, having me walk with my children and expects me to hurry and move out. I pay the bills in the house. What are my legal rights.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 6, 2014, 04:27 AM
    I see no harm in leaving this new question tacked on to several old ones, so that each person can see the answers.

quelinda33, unfortunately the answers above are the same for you, regardless of children and who pays bills. He can evict you according to the laws of your state, but cannot throw you out, lock you out, throw out your possessions, or prevent you from getting them. Eviction has to be done formally, starting with a notice to leave, in writing, and then going to court. Don't tell him how to evict you, of course. Meanwhile file a Small Claims lawsuit for the damage he did to your car. Look on your state website for how to do that.

If he does change the locks or doing anything threatening, the police can tell him to let you in. Keep papers on you at all times proving that you live there, such as utility bills in your name, or canceled checks to them, or even just some envelopes from mail addressed to you there. That is if you hadn't changed your address with the DMV.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2014, 05:27 AM
    Closed, this is a 2006 thread, that keeps getting reopened.

If you have a new question, start your own question please.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Kick out my 18 yr old stepdaughter [ 13 Answers ]

How do I legal have my 18 year old stepdaughter removed from my house.. All she does is eat ,sleep and party... shes on juvy probation, mother won't help tries to protect her no matter what she does... a spoiled brat who can't hold a job nor has she finished school... my love for her mom may not...

Goodman Furnace won't kick in [ 5 Answers ]

Hi have been reading the various posts for a couple hours now. When my Goodman GMNT-080-48 forced air starts up, all appears well on start up sequence ; blower runs and igniter heats up and then turns off. Blower never comes on and the heat never seems to get going full. The little red light...

Crazy ex-boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 6 mo. Pregnant & being sued by my ex-boyfriend for paternity, custody, & to remand me to the state of Ind. I live here all by myself & I wanted to move home to Illinois. I'm not even sure he's the father. He's got enough money to basically get whatever he wants. I'm losing my mind. What...

A/c compressor won't kick in [ 4 Answers ]

I have a window a/c unit with a compressor that won't kick in. I took the unit apart and noticed the control wire on the compressor looked burnt and corroded. I took the wire off and put a new connector on, but still no go. I noticed however when I left the control wire disconnected I could hear...

View more questions Search