Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 10:05 AM
    Ceiling Light Fixture works intermittently
    I have a ceiling light fixture that works only rarely--once in 3-4 weeks.

What could be possible causes?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2006, 07:02 AM
    Can be one or more of many reasons.

A loose or bad connection anywhere in the circuit, switch, fixture, lamp socket, and can be either of the two wires of the circuit.
    Can be a defective lamp socket or switch.

Using a voltage tester, begin at the switch. Be sure there is power feeding the switch, then check if there is power leaving the switch. If this is all fine, then need to check the connections at and in the fixture.

It can be as simple as the bottom contact of the lamp socket is pushed down too far and the bottom contact of the lamp cannot reach the lamp. Be sure the power is off, as this contact is the hot, and gently pull or pry the contact up a fraction of an inch.
    jhardegr Posts: 25, Reputation: 5

Dec 3, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd
    I have a ceiling light fixture that works only rarely--once in 3-4 weeks.

What could be possible causes?
    I think there's an excellent chance that there is a loose connection between two wires where they connect in the ceiling box. Another possibility is that the lamp socket (the part the bulb screws into) is cracked. This often happens when people install bulbs of too high a wattage rating.

You can look on the fixture and it should say somewhere what the maximum wattage rating for that fixture is. If you have exceeded it (e.g. 150 Watt bulb in a socket rated for 60 Watts) or if you see any cracks or burn marks then you should replace it because it is probably damaged internally and is now a fire hazard.

--John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay ceiling fan light fixture stopped working but fan still works why? [ 14 Answers ]

New light put in my Hampton Bay ceiling fan, but then after a few days, no light bulbs work but fan runs fine, why is this happening?:confused:

Trying to connect a ceiling light fixture [ 14 Answers ]

I just hooked-up a new light fixture but it doesn't work. Any ideas? The bulb is OK, and other lights on the circuit work. The ceiling has three wires, two of which are twisted together, which I believe is for the dimmer. The fixture has two wires; I connected one to one from the ceiling, and the...

Ceiling fan light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

Trying to replace the ceiling fan light fixture in this house... how do I get the plastic connectors off the wiring to put on new connectors - the connectors in the light kit I bought do not fit the wiring in the ceiling fan, so I need to replace the connectors, right? I'm soooooooo clueless!

Ceiling fan works properly only when light is on [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a ceiling fan, and though the fan works great when the light is turned on, when the light is turned off, all power seems to be drained from the fan. I've tried to rewire, but no luck. And when the light and fan are on together, any small imbalance in the "fan" disappears. Does...

Ceiling Fan light cord & Fixture [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Hampton Bay Ceiling fan that has been working fine for a year or so. There are two questions I have for anyone who can offer assistance: 1. The light cord doesn't work. Well, actually, it works sporadically, but rarely. When I pull the cord, it seems to not catch whatever it's...

View more questions Search