Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BatteryPoweredStar-- Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Tragus piercing hurt?
    Okay, so I asked my mum if I could get my tragus pierced, she said yes. Now, I'm just wondering where it is on pain level.. I've had my cartilige done, and I'm just wondering if its more or less painful, I have a high tolerance for pain, also my friend and I got our bellybuttons pierced, and another friend said that it hurt them, but it didn't hurt me, I assume this was because the "pain" of the cartilige was a little more.

Give us a shout if you know anything (:
    Thanks xxxxxx
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2008, 06:05 PM

The feeling of getting your Tragus pierced can be compared to the feeling of a regular helix piercing -- the Tragus might hurt just a tad more, but not much. But all in all, it does depend on your tolerance for pain. What hurts one person, may not hurt another. The only way to really tell if it will hurt YOU or not is to just get it done.
    jambourrie Posts: 73, Reputation: 10

Oct 9, 2008, 11:50 AM

NauticalStar is right - for me, one of my Tragus' hurt A lot more than the other one, which I didn't perceive to really hurt much at all. Same with my rooks... I had a different experience with each one.
    MonicaMM Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2009, 07:29 AM

The tragus is a painful piercing, but yet again, as is any cartilage. It's more pain since it's not easy for the piercer to directly make it "fast", but it's just some extra pressure compared to cartilage or normal lobe piercings.

It's worth it though, truly!
    zaratap Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2009, 04:36 PM
    With your tragus all you can feel is the needle piercing the skin because the actual cartilage inside has no feeling at all and you might be able to feel the pressure but for me it didn't hurt at all. But I might just have a high pain threshold.
    Tammariah Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2009, 10:34 AM

I got my tragus pierced 8 days ago. I'm going to tell you how it is, They put clamps on the tragus and they tell you to breathe in and the stick the needle in half way and while you are slowly breathing out they finish sticking the needle through. And yes it hurts, it's a lot more painful than a ear lobe piercing and the top cartilage piercing. The next day it hurts to move your jaw and sometimes eat. Please don't sleep on it because it will swell up, an it is sort of painful. But I guess in the end it is all worth it. Just make sure you stick with the aftercare instructions the piercer gives you, and your piercing should be fine.
    RhiLee333 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2010, 04:45 AM
    I had my tragus done a year ago now. I also have my navel done and 2 plain old piercings in the lobes of each ear.

In my opinion, the tragus hurts a little more than the belly button. They clean your ear with alcohol and then put a dot where they are going to pierce. They then put a clamp on which feels kind of uncofortable. After that, they push the canular in. With mine, they got me to breathe in for a second and out for a second. I did that twice before the needle got all the way through. They do it pretty slowly so that they don't damage the tragus. When the needle is coming out, there is a kind of "crunch" sound which is a little ikky.

They then remove the needle and leave a plastic like thinggy in your ear, thread a metal bar through the plastic, remove the plastic, and thread the actual libret through after that. All in all it takes about a minute.

All of that tugging is uncomfortable, but the most painful thing is that instant where the crunching occurs.

Also, decide what side you are going to get it on and don't sleep on that side for a week. Sleeping on it or getting your hair caught around it twinges more than a little, but you soon learn new habits.

Hope you enjoy your new piercing!
    rachelllllyne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 04:06 PM
    I pierced my own the other day and it wasn't that bad, I think I should be a piercer! I've cleaned it and stuff but it wasn't too sore or anything, also I sleep on it all the time and it doesn't bother me one bit, I love it!
    lexisgabrielle Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
    I got my tragus pierced 4 days ago, and I love it! But it only hurts when: the need goes through, the earring is put on, when I clean it and if I touch it or sleep on it. My jaw didn't hurt but the whole day I got it done it throbbed.
    ramona_ Posts: 222, Reputation: 47

Apr 14, 2011, 03:24 PM
    Personally, my tragus piercing was the worst piercing for pain I've had and I've got my helix, forward helix, stretching lobes, daith, tongue, nostril, belly button and sternum. That's not to say it will hurt you as much though. When you get it pierced it feels like its under a lot of pressure and will feel very hot. You won't be able to wear a headphone in that ear and it will be uncomfortable to sleep on for quite a while, just make sure you clean it properly and try not to knock it or touch it too often, if you must touch it then make sure you have clean hands! When you get it pierced, have a hand to hold, that always helps me! Good luck.
    aayliah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
    Well I just got my tragus done yesterday. And the pain level isn't that bad. It does not feel good when the needle goes into your ear. But in like 30min you won't even know it's their. And trust me when your body forgets about the new piercing and you touch your ear it will not forget the ache that it will leave. Another word of advise is to not look at the piercing equipment. It makes it better when you don't see the needle. Another word of advice is to not use the piercing gun. That's illegal in some states. And get a small hoop earring for starting your piercing off. It makes it easier to take care of for the next 6-8 weeks.
    theysayyousuck Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2011, 08:48 PM
    Ramona is right I feel the same way I actually shed a tear or two when it was being pierced and I took painkillers because I pierced it before work and culdnt take the pain anymore... I did it today and it still hurts and feels like throbbing pain... I hope and I am sure it will go away soon all that I am concerned with is being able to listen to my headphones. I love this piercing totally worth it
    ivabl Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Dec 27, 2011, 05:09 AM
    Hey guys.. so.. about 4 months ago I have taken my tragus piercing,with gun.IT Didn't HURT! but I was sceard when I saw a big zip over my piercing.. something like infection,a popped the zip it is better now.. 2 days after I taken my piercing my ear is swollen.. and it is yet.. it don't hurt.. thanks God!! I really like it and I don't won't to take out my earring:)
    (sorry for my English,I am not from England and I don't know to speak english like a professor)
    If someone here want to get his tragus piercing and you are worried aboyt the pain.. I said it again.. TRAGUS PIERCING WITH GUN,Don't HYRT!!
    At least I don't hurt:)
    Good luck:)
    nenaforever Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2012, 12:06 PM
    I got my tragus done like 4 months ago.. I have no other type of body piercing except for my ear lobe. I guess it all depends on who is piercing it.. the nice gentlmen who did mine was very calm about it. The only time it actully hurt was we they first put it in then in slimply slid through. You have to take care of it.. at first I thought I didn't cause I though it would never get infected.. but it did. Its very hard to take care of. But once it heals it should be all good and if a lilttel redness happens make sure to clean it at least twice a week. Other wise you'll be all right
    natalihasteeth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 06:56 PM
    It all depends on who you are. No one has the same pain tolerance. But tragus piercings in general don't hurt all that much. If you've ever had your cartilage done, you can relate it to that. Basically it hurts going in, sort of like getting a shot by the doctor, if feels like a little stinging pinch, and feels funny for a while, but goes away. There aren't any nerves in your cartilage so you shouldn't feel pain. I would not suggest getting it done with a gun, because this can damage the cartilage in your ear, and can cause major damage, and pain. Also be sure the person piercing it is cleaning everything, and that they are a professional.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tragus piercing [ 6 Answers ]

This is my second time having my tragus' pierced. The first time I had to take them out because of (what I believed to be) an allergic reaction. I've had them done now for almost a month... they no longer hurt but on my right ear I have (what I believe to be) a keloid. Its very small and I've read...

Tragus Piercing! [ 21 Answers ]

I really want to get my tragus pierced, I have had both lobes pierced once and my belly. People say that the belly button hurts but mine didn't does any one know how the tragus is going to compare?? So how exactly do they pierce it iv'e herd you should deffinatly get it pierced with a needle not...

Does a tragus piercing really hurt? [ 79 Answers ]

I have a question!! Does a tragus piercing really hurst? because I want to get one. Is it better 2get it with a needle or a gun?? and does it infect the ear?because almost all my cartillage piercing have bumps now I don't why... mayb I didn't take good care of it. And does it require to be 18 in...

Tragus piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I really want to get my tragus pierced, and I was wanting to know if it is very different than having your cartiledge pierced. Is it any harder to take care of?

Tragus piercing-scarring or infected? [ 4 Answers ]

K, so I posted a question last week about my tragus piercing having hypertrophic scarring. I've cut back to cleaning 3x a day, I don't mess with it much, and I don't sleep on it or anything either. However in the last week it's gotten worse and I'm beginning to think it's infected. So yeah, I'm...

View more questions Search