Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kconroy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2010, 04:39 PM
    What is the state tax % for 401k withdrawl in virginia?
    When taking a early withdrawl off a 401k plan, what is the % of state tax that needs to be withdrawn? If my 401k total is 10k, federal is 20%, and there a early penalty for 10%, but what is the state %?
    When I file my taxs the same year, does the early withdrawl % come out of my tax return?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2010, 06:28 PM

The distribution is added to your taxable income and taxed as regular income. The 20% federal withholding is just that, withholding. Its applied against your tax liability to determine how much you owe or will get back from the Feds.

The 10% penalty will be paid with your return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2010, 09:22 AM

I believe the marginal income tax rate in VA is 5.75% for incomes above $17K, so that's most likely the percentage you would pay. This amount is NOT withheld from your withdrawal - you have to figure the amount and pay it with your state tax return in April. Also, the 10% early withdrawal penalty is typically not withheld either - you pay that with your federal tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax penalty on 401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Hi; My fiancé recently changed jobs and instead of rolling over his 401k he withdrew all of it, on the check stub they took out federal taxes, we are clueless on what kind of penalty he will have to pay, please help, Thanks

401k reduce CA state tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am new to 401k. If I enroll in 401, does it reduce only Federal tax liability, or CA state tax liability as well. How can I compute what tax I will save if I put 3000 In 401k. Any helpful sites/ calculators? Regards, JKG

401K and state retirement tax [ 6 Answers ]

What law dictates for a company to withhold or to not withhold State Tax upon liquidation of a 401k? I am 61 years old. I cashed out a 401k. I have been a resident of FL for over 2 years. There are no FL State taxes due. I am visiting my sister and had the check mailed to her address in MD. ...

Arizona State Tax Form for IRA early withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what forms to use for early withdrawl on IRA's in the state of AZ. This IRA withdrawl is part of my AGI on my federal taxes

401K and which state tax ? [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that I have to pay fed and state tax when I take out 401K at 59 1/2 yrs old. Currently I have lived in California for 30 yrs and have 401K. Next year I plan to retire and considering moving to Texas or Arizona where the cost of living is lower than California. Question: which...

View more questions Search