Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tigeriiiiy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 03:44 AM
    Is there an emergency order for child support in Florida?
    Is there such a thing as an emergency order for child support in Florida? My son's case ex took him back to court to try to have the amount of support lowered and the judge has yet to make a ruling. It's been 6 months since the hearing - and his ex has yet to pay one dime in support. My son is about to get foreclosed on his home since he's been the sole provider for his children. (he was awarded primary custody) He has an atty. But she isn't motivated to do anything since my son still owes her $3800 out of the $35000 he's already paid her.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 08:31 AM

From the sounds of it you already have a child support order in place. It's a collection matter. And there is nothing that you can do on an emergency basis as far as collections goes.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 1, 2010, 10:11 AM

There are emerency orders but this does not apply, since you already seem to have a order in place.

Does not matter if she has asked for less, the original order is in place until it is done.

And unless this is a very large divorce issue ( no divorce lawyer costs 35,000 dollars)

Has he contaced child support enforcement of the state, taken her back to court for contempt of the court order.

As for foreclosure, I am sorry but a family getting child support should never, never consider this steady income to pay bills with, since it is common ( and sad) but often the other side fails to pay a lot.

Jan 1, 2010, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    From the sounds of it you already have a child support order in place. Its a collection matter. And there is nothing that you can do on an emergency basis as far as collections goes.
    Actually, there was an order but my ex daughter-in-law took the case back to court to ask the judge to decrease the amount she was ordered to pay. That was six months ago and the judge has yet to make a final judgement. Meanwhile, she's refusing to pay any amount until the judge orders it. Anything we can do?

Jan 1, 2010, 06:29 PM

Fr_Chuck - are you kidding me about the $35,000?? We are in the state of Florida - atty's here get $300 an hour!! This divorce had dragged been dragged out over a year and a half! My son might be so close to foreclosure if his ex had been paying the $686 she was originally ordered to pay per month! That is for the benefit of the children - helping keep a roof over their heads!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 06:52 PM

First, Chuck is not kidding. Unless one is dealing with a complex allocation of marital assets divorce attorneys tend to work on a lump sum rather than hourly. Sounds to me like your son went for a high priced lawyer that he couldn't afford.

That attorney should have never taken his case.

Second, Did the judge suspend payments while he was deliberating? If not, then he should be contacting the Florida Office Of Child Support Enforcement to collect on what the court has ordered.

This site may help you:
    MyFloridaCounty.com --> Child Support Service FAQs

Jan 1, 2010, 07:12 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. The judge did not suspend payments. He will definitely do what you've suggested first thing Monday a.m. - In the area of Jacksonville - I don't know of an atty. Who does divorce on a lump sum. Having no experience at all with dealing with divorce or attorneys in general, we went to who was suggested. This was the second atty. We hired- the first one ran up a $6000 tab in a 6 week period. When this finally gets behind us, I'm going to write the Florida Bar about this atty. I guess we had "sucker" stamped on our foreheads... we were just naïve to the system.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 1, 2010, 07:29 PM

How many attorneys did you talk to? I would start calling from this listing:

jacksonvill FL divorce attorney - Google Search

And yes, I would agree with contacting the Florida bar.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the child support agency remove order from child 18 or does the parent [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 and in college, he does not live with mother nor does she pay for any of college. I live in California, who takes care of the order?

No Child Support order [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, I had an open child support case in New York for the last 6 years. In which, I was granted a court order for $39.00, I have one child. Apparently, he is working for a trucking company who pay some on the books and off. I went in last year for a modification, my first one because $80...

No Child Support Order [ 3 Answers ]

I divorced in 2003 at which time my ex-wife had custody of her 3 kids (I adopted them so I had to pay child support) and I had custody of my biological daughter (tried to get custody of all of them, but the others were old enough for the courts to let them live where they wanted to). As a part...

Can you get an emergency hearing for child support modification [ 15 Answers ]

I my son was making $85,000.00 a year when his childsupport amount was caculated and it has been 2 years now he is making up through today a gross of $53,198.00 he cannot pay the $300.00 a week that was established at the time. Some weeks he has no pay check after child support is deducted. What...

Trying to get child support order [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I have been trying to get an order for child support since December 2006. I live in a different state then the father. Although I am receiving Public assistance and they say they are working on it, nothing at all has happened. I know the location of the father , but for some reason it is...

View more questions Search