Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GabrielleAsks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2005, 10:15 AM
    Low hot water pressure in a couple faucets
    Within the last 48 hours, two faucets suddenly have really poor hot water pressure. The kitchen faucet has low pressure on hot; on cold it is fine. Right around the corner in the half bath, the hot water pressure is great. Upstairs in the bathroom we have a double sink; one of the hot waters works great; the other one is just a dribble. We have well water, and there is usually a lot of white deposits around the shower head, faucets, etc.

Is this a deposit that has come loose and is clogging my faucets? Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 1, 2005, 11:42 AM
    Low hot water pressure in a couple faucets
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrielleAsks
    Within the last 48 hours, two faucets suddenly have really poor hot water pressure. The kitchen faucet has low pressure on hot; on cold it is fine. Right around the corner in the half bath, the hot water pressure is great. Upstairs in the bathroom we have a double sink; one of the hot waters works great; the other one is just a dribble. We have well water, and there is usually a lot of white deposits around the shower head, faucets, etc.
    Is this a deposit that has come loose and is clogging my faucets? Thanks
    Hi Gabrielle,
    Yes your faucets are clogging up. Sounds like mineral build-up from the water heater has broke loose and got into the supplies and faucets. You're going to have to open up the faucets, If it is a one lever faucet you will need to pull the cartridge and check the ports for trash. If you have a two handle faucet, turn off the angle stops and pop the emblem off the top of the handle. Unscrew the bolt and remove the handle. Unscrew the retaining nut from the chrome cover and you are left with the stem and the bonnet packing nut. If there is a nut below the bonnet that is the top of the valve body holding the stem and washer assembly and the one you want to unscrew. Remove the stem and washer. Look down in the seat for trash. Now your going to flush the hot line. Put a pan over the open hot side to dirvert the water back into the sink and VERY CAREFULLY crack the hot water angle stop. If there is trash in the line hopefully this will flush it out. If the washer is worn or the seat nicked then replace it.

Now on to the cause. Mineral build-up. The heater needs to be flushed out and a regular maintenance schedule set uo. Let me show you how.
    If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out. Good luck, Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2005, 11:46 AM
    Chances are, yes. Often you can fix the problem by shutting off the water to the faucet, taking it apart, removing the crud, maybe by turning the water on for a second or 2, and then putting it back together. Most faucets come apart by prying off the cap on the knob, remove the screw, then the knob, and finally unscrewing the whole works. The part that comes out could be plugged up too.

If you can't figure out how to get the faucet apart, post back with the brand and model, or at least a description.
    GabrielleAsks Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2005, 08:25 AM
    Problem solved
    Thanks for your help... the problem with the bathroom was at the angle valve, clogged with salts. The kitchen problem "went away," at least for now. I also developed a problem with the washing machine hot water... problem there was at the hose going into the machine. The filter was clogged about 1/4 inch. Amazing any water at all was getting through. Also drained the hot water tank, but didn't see much junk coming out of there. Thanks again for the help! :) :) undefined

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Increase Hot Water Pressure w/Water pump? [ 3 Answers ]

Would a Watts Premier Hot Water Recirculation Pump (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11026121&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=&s=1) (or any other brand name) help to increase hot water pressure if you install it directly to the hot water output pipe and then turn it on ONLY while taking a...

Water pressure/water softener? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a "waterfall" faucet in my tub (separate shower). I turned on the water to the tub the other day and it barely runs. Then tonight my daughter was running the tub faucet and I had no hot water pressure to the kitchen. This has never been a problem. I understand from reading that we may...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

No pressure or volume in any of my showers or faucets [ 11 Answers ]

When I first moved into my house I had great pressure and volume but now I have very little of anything in my house. If I flush the toilet and run my bathroom faucet the toilet shuts off from filling up until I shut the faucet off. Also if I take a shower in the back bathroom and somebody flushes...

View more questions Search