Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Chriza Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2008, 11:29 PM
    Fixed cost and Variable Cost
    Can someone explain how fixed cost and variable cost differ from each other as if I was 3 years old.
    jazper Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 23, 2008, 02:15 AM
    Hi

I am an accounting student in the last semester, hold some business diplomas and have many years of business experience. I doubt that a 3 year old wants to know the difference about fixed and variables, but I will try my best to stay on earth.

As the terms already imply cost is fixed (always the same) while the other varies (different depending on the quantity produced).

The variable cost depends on the quantity of units produced in order to change. For instance, in order to run a business it is required to pay: rent, office cleaning, office/sale employees, etc; all these cost do not change regardless how much this business produces, whether the business manufactures 100 or 1mil items. Therefore, in business we call this a FIXED COST.

Now, to manufacture, for instance, a bed it requires bolts, nuts, screws and timber panels and so on. All these items when purchased are considered to be a cost to manufacture a bad. Of course, the more beds the business produces the more bolts, nuts, screws and timber panels are required. Hence, these costs change accordingly to the quantity of goods (beds) produces. As this cost varies depending on the quantity produced, it is called VARIABLE COST.

Understand that this is a really simple example and even with this simple bed production scenario it can go more complex. Variable cost is also found in items that do not seem to change depending on production. For example, one may say that electricity cost is always the same and therefore a fixed cost, but this is incorrect. The more holes are drilled into a timber panel the more often the worker uses his drilling machine and requires electricity. But the office light and the light to illuminate the advertising in front of the company runs day and night and does not change regardless how many beds are produced. So, we see that the electricity bill will have some FIXED COSTS AND SOME VARIABLE COSTS INCLUDED. The managerial accountant will calculate how much is accountable for fix costs and variable cost and will account for these amounts only in his financial records / books of accounts (bookkeeping).

The reason why we distinguish between fixed and variable costs is that we can calculate the cost of production and operating cost more accurately. This will then be used to run the business more productively. Decision how to increase production the most efficient way, lower cost, which product line to eliminate, whether we should save on electricity cost when using the advertising lighting, etc.

Good luck

jazper
    nuray Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 13, 2009, 05:54 PM

L study hospitality manangment.and l have an exam from the cost.l need example can you help me
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2009, 03:22 AM

First, can you please start your own thread for your question instead of tagging onto someone else's.

Second, I don't know what you're asking. Sounds like you're having an exam for a hospitality cost class. I suspect there are thousands of examples of your book. Are we to guess exactly what you wanted an example of?
    helene3006 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2013, 10:37 AM
    Hello,

I don't know if this site is still in fonction but I would like to know if in courrier operation, the sectoral cost is fixe or variable.

thank you very much

Helene

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed and variable cost [ 2 Answers ]

what are some examples of fixed and variable costs from your workplace?

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

Fixed and variable cost [ 3 Answers ]

A company sells lawnmowers for $895 each. The variable cost per lawnmower is $520. The company’s monthly fixed costs are $84,500. Using the C-V-P equation from question one, compute amount of profit if the company sold 375 lawnmowers.

Fixed or Variable Cost [ 1 Answers ]

Would plant overhead be a fixed or variable cost?

Fixed cost are really variable [ 1 Answers ]

I need some help regarding my college assignment.. The question is about fixed cost.. Could somebody please help me? “Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of production.” Is this statement correct? Why or why not? Use an example to explain...

View more questions Search