Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gizzy Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 13, 2009, 11:40 AM
    My dog won't stop peeing in my house
    I have a male neutered Yorkie that just will not stop peeing in the house. He knows how to let me know when he has to go cause he has done it many times before. I have two other dogs that are both female, one is spayed and the other one is just getting over her first heat cycle per vet requested. My vet will not spayed her till she has had her first heat cycle. Now this problem with my yorkie has always been there. He belongs to my son but he is a truck driver and couldn't keep him on the truck anymore cause they have him on the go all the time and he wouldn't have the time to stop to let the little guy potty so we had him bring him here with us. I have tried the pee pads with some of that house braking spay thinking that maybe if I could get him to go in one place instead of where ever he wanted then I could work on him from there but that isn't working either..I have gates up so he is only aloud in one room and that being the room with no carpet and he just pees on the run leaving a trail behind him like he is practicing to be a fireman. I have had him checked and the vet don't seem to think he has any health issues but something is wrong here and I sure don't know what it could be..I do not and will not give him up but my hubby is losing his cool here...I really need some advice please.

This little guy has had it bad before my son bought him at 8 months old. He got him from a puppy mill and he was kept in a cage for those 8 months. His two front feet are out to the side like a duck's feet and he has some teeth problems that we are working on. He is the most loveable dog I have had. I have him as well as my other two dogs sleep in crates at night and he does really good in that.

Please help
    Thanks
    Hugz
    Gizzy:(
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 11:48 AM

Hi Gizzy.

How old is he please?
    And how long have you had him for?

It sounds behavioural definitely, not medical if the vet has given him the all clear.

I have a male here who does the same fireman peeing as yours does...
    When he pees outside he will stand in the one spot fine, but inside he continues to walk leaving a trail because he knows he is doing the wrong thing.

How long have you been trying to potty train him for as well?
    I wouldn't suggest using the pee pads if you are trying to get him to go outside.

Oct 13, 2009, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Hi Gizzy.

How old is he please?
    And how long have you had him for?

It sounds behavioural definitely, not medical if the vet has given him the all clear.

I have a male here who does the exact same fireman peeing as yours does....
    When he pees outside he will stand in the one spot fine, but inside he continues to walk leaving a trail because he knows he is doing the wrong thing.

How long have you been trying to potty train him for as well?
    I wouldn't suggest using the pee pads if you are trying to get him to go outside.

How old is he please?
    Oh I am sorry I forgot to mention his age.. He is 15 months old.
    We have had him here at the house for about two weeks steady. Before this he was coming and going cause he was on the road with my son and when my son would come home he would be here for a few days and do this same thing... The crazy thing is my son said he never did this in the truck when he had him..

Thanks
    Hugz
    Gizzy
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:10 PM

It's only been 2 weeks and he has had a pretty hectic routine so far in his life...

Going from a cage to a truck to a house is pretty traumatic even if his life is MUCH better now than it was at the mill.

When he was in the truck did he travel on the passenger seat? Because it was a confined space it would make him not want to urinate there.
    Dogs are naturally clean animals they avoid urinating/defecating where they sleep.

Now that he has a bit more freedom in the house it may be confusing him.
    Does he have access to outside?
    Or are you preferring to train him to go on the pads?
    There are different techniques for each :)

Oct 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
    It's only been 2 weeks and he has had a pretty hectic routine so far in his life...

Going from a cage to a truck to a house is pretty traumatic even if his life is MUCH better now than it was at the mill.

When he was in the truck did he travel on the passenger seat? Because it was a confined space it would make him not want to urinate there.
    Dogs are naturally clean animals they avoid urinating/defecating where they sleep.

Now that he has a bit more freedom in the house it may be confusing him.
    Does he have access to outside?
    Or are you preferring to train him to go on the pads?
    There are different techniques for each :)

That is just what I was thinking.. This poor little guy has been through it all so I figure this is going to be a long hall..

I take him outside to pee. I took up the pad cause I figured it to was confusihg him and he wasn't using it either, he was still peeing on the floor so I just take him out about every hour or so.
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 12:38 PM

Sounds like a good plan.

I would even consider taking him out every half an hour until he fully gets the hang of it.

It sounds like a pain but you want to avoid any accidents during the learning time... once he is no longer having accidents inside then extend the time he has to wait to go outside.

Don't forget to praise praise praise when he pees on the grass outside :)

Oct 13, 2009, 12:56 PM
    Sounds like a good plan.

I would even consider taking him out every half an hour until he fully gets the hang of it.

It sounds like a pain but you want to avoid any accidents during the learning time... once he is no longer having accidents inside then extend the time he has to wait to go outside.

Don't forget to praise praise praise when he pees on the grass outside :)
    I have been doing this one all day today and so far so good.. He some times only does just a little bit but he does go and this way it gives him the idea that this is what is expected of him and where he is to go...

Also I forgot to mention this little guy can drink some water.. He will drink till he is sick if I leave it down for him so that plays a big part on this I am sure so I now keep the water up and only give to him after he has eaten and a little bit a couple more times a day...

Thank you so much for you time and help

Hugz
    Gizzy
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:01 PM

I hope you can get it sorted!

Have you had him checked out for things like diabetes?
    I don't want to scare you but excess water drinking can actually be a symptom of some larger problems.

It could also be nothing, but it is worth considering if it continues...
    My girl drinks water until she nearly bursts but a vet check revealed no problems... yet years ago my mother had a boy who did the same thing but had liver problems.

What you are doing sounds good, I'm confident that in a few more weeks you will have him confidently peeing outside, and hopefully even letting you know when he needs to go out!

Oct 13, 2009, 01:33 PM
    I hope you can get it sorted!

Have you had him checked out for things like diabetes?
    I don't want to scare you but excess water drinking can actually be a symptom of some larger problems.

It could also be nothing, but it is worth considering if it continues...
    My girl drinks water until she nearly bursts but a vet check revealed no problems... yet years ago my mother had a boy who did the same thing but had liver problems.

What you are doing sounds good, I'm confident that in a few more weeks you will have him confidently peeing outside, and hopefully even letting you know when he needs to go out!
    He has not yet been checked for diabetes yet.. I did however mention his excessive drinking and ask him if it could be possible for him to have diabetes and the vet said yes but some times some dogs just drink more then other so we will just keep our eye on it and if he continues and I am concern they can run the test on him but it is expensive... I told my son I want child support.. lol.. Joking of course but he is going to cost us some money if this keeps up cause I am worried about him... Thanks again for all your help and for your confedents... I will let you know how it goes as we go along with his training... Thank god for forums like this cause I am not a big reader and the next step was to go check out a book on this... lol..

BTW what kind of dog do you have.. Is your profile picture your doggie... I have three dogs.. One is an Ameican Eskimo and her name is Tinkerbell, then there is Gabie and she is a Basset hound and of course Johnny and he is a Yorkie all with papers. I also have two cats. Both Calico's one is Peppy and the other is Cadie..

Hugz
    Gizzy
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 01:38 PM

Just keep an eye on his drinking, like I said it could be nothing but it's worth checking out if other problems arise :)
    I like to be over cautious rather than under... have lived with quite a few dogs over the years which means I unfortunately have had to deal with a lot of problems.

I'm glad Johnny ended up with you, you sound like you really care for your animals.

Yup, that's my boy on my profile pic, I have 2 Miniature Poodles at the moment, they used to be show dogs but they didn't make the cut...

I have never seen an American Eskimo! We don't have them here in Australia, from the pictures I have seen though they are beautiful dogs.
    And my mother has just ordered a Basset Hound... I hope they are as nice as all the information on the web suggests! Haha

Oct 13, 2009, 03:46 PM
    Just keep an eye on his drinking, like I said it could be nothing but it's worth checking out if other problems arise :)
    I like to be over cautious rather than under... have lived with quite a few dogs over the years which means I unfortunately have had to deal with a lot of problems.

I'm glad Johnny ended up with you, you sound like you really care for your animals.

Yup, that's my boy on my profile pic, I have 2 Miniature Poodles at the moment, they used to be show dogs but they didn't make the cut...

I have never seen an American Eskimo! We don't have them here in Australia, from the pictures I have seen though they are beautiful dogs.
    And my mother has just ordered a Basset Hound... I hope they are as nice as all the information on the web suggests! haha
    Oh you can bet I will keep my eye on him and my son said he will pay all the vet bill's for him and he takes care of his food but I told him he don't have to do this cause he is now a part of our family and I don't mind at all paying for him.. I guess he just hates not being able to have him with him anymore but its to hard on the both of them and really not fare to Johnny... I to am glad Johnny ended up with me cause he is such a little guy and so lovable... Ty for the comment...

OMG Amecian Eskimo's are beautyful. How did you get your picture to show up in here? I will put her Johnny and Gabie up in here so you can see them. As for the Basset hounds you can't ask for a better dog to be honest with you but they have a really bad odor about them and you have to bath them all the time.. I bath Gabie twice a week some times even more depending on how bad she smells.. She is a very good dog and was so easy to train and she is supper loveable. She thinks she is a lap dog... lol

Hugz
    Gizzy:)
    Uber Member

Oct 13, 2009, 07:11 PM

I would love to see pics of all of them!

To put a picture up just click on the "go advanced" button below then that will bring you to a new screen with more option...
    Then there will a paper clip up the top of the text box...
    Just click on that and browse for you pictures and click 'upload'

I know this isn't one you asked about but I know Bassets are very wrinkly loose skinned dogs, have you tried using pet wipes on his skin, especially any folds, rather than bathing him?
    In a lot of cases bathing can make them smell worse because it removes the essential oils from their skin. ;)

Oct 14, 2009, 09:11 AM
    I would love to see pics of all of them!

To put a picture up just click on the "go advanced" button below then that will bring you to a new screen with more option...
    Then there will a paper clip up the top of the text box...
    Just click on that and browse for you pictures and click 'upload'

I know this isn't one you asked about but I know Bassets are very wrinkly loose skinned dogs, have you tried using pet wipes on his skin, especially any folds, rather than bathing him?
    In a lot of cases bathing can make them smell worse because it removes the essential oils from their skin. ;)
    Oh I see the paper clip in here so will attach them...

As for my Basset hound she is 3 1/2 years old and so far not one wringle yet.. She is a beautiful dog and was the best one of the litter... I got her from TX, my daughter in-law got a male and called me telling me how great he was and as soon as I seen the picture I just had to have one but I didn't want no male.. I was pretty lucky she has one female left and my Gabie was it.. I have used those pet wipes on her in between baths but use them all over her and it does help out a little but I think one of the reason her odor come's back so fast is she sleeps in a crate at night and she even gets in it when she takes her naps which is a lot.. These dogs sleep a lot and are very playfull when up but for the most part she is laid back...

Thanks
    Hugz
    Attached Images

Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 06:00 PM

That is a gorgeous photo!

I love the Eskimo, so cute! You can't even see her collar she's so fluffy! :D

I'm glad Bassets are as laid back as their profile suggests! Mum was after a nice quiet, calm dog... she has miniature poodles (she bred my little girl) and a very psychotic, energetic, crazy great dane!

Oct 14, 2009, 06:41 PM
    That is a gorgeous photo!

I love the Eskimo, so cute! You can't even see her collar she's so fluffy! :D

I'm glad Bassets are as laid back as their profile suggests! Mum was after a nice quiet, calm dog... she has miniature poodles (she bred my little girl) and a very psychotic, energetic, crazy great dane!
    Thanks.. Tinkerbell is a little sweety that is for sure.. She loves attention and is not liking little Johnny being here cause now she has to share the attention with him. They are starting to fight a bit and she gets him down and won't let him up... lol... Gabie the Basset is calm till she hears a noise or the other dogs get her going other then that she is sleeping.. I call her my lazy one.. Poor Tinkerbell is in heat right now and not at all to happy so I was really shocked she set still for that picture... My hubby told them to stay and that is just want they did.. lol..

Hugz
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2009, 10:41 PM

Oh dear... they will sort out the pecking order eventually, mine do the same thing... my little girl is the boss and my boy lets her get away with murder.

Is her being in heat bothering Johnny at all or is he not paying any attention to her (other than just playing)

Oct 15, 2009, 06:52 AM
    Oh dear... they will sort out the pecking order eventually, mine do the same thing... my little girl is the boss and my boy lets her get away with murder.

Is her being in heat bothering Johnny at all or is he not paying any attention to her (other than just playing)
    Johnny is a little rough neck and I think that Tinkerbell don't like that so she has to set him stright.. lol... As for Johnny paying attention to her being in heat, oh yeah he is always trying to get both the girls, Gabie more so and she is spayed. I have been trying everything to stop him from doing that but he just goes right back to it.. He really took a liking to Gabie that way and she just sets there like go for it bud cause you are scratching my back... lol

Hugz
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 07:20 AM

Haha... at least one of them doesn't mind!

Whenever I give my girl a bath (she is spayed) my male (who is entire) thinks she is in season because she smells different, I get a little vicks vapor rub and put it above her tail, it stops him from doing it because the smell is very strong and he doesn't like it... it doesn't bother her at all.

Oct 15, 2009, 09:45 AM
    Haha... at least one of them doesn't mind!

Whenever I give my girl a bath (she is spayed) my male (who is entire) thinks she is in season because she smells different, I get a little vicks vapor rub and put it above her tail, it stops him from doing it because the smell is very strong and he doesn't like it... it doesn't bother her at all.
    Wow I am going to try that one then.. I get tired of telling him to stop it and I sure don't want this kind of behavoir going on when my little grandkids come around.. I do not want to explain that.. lol..

Thank you
    Hugz
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2009, 10:39 PM

Haha yes I can understand that!
    It has worked every time for me so give it a shot :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

5 yr old Daschund will not stop peeing in house [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old dash and he will not stop peeing in the house. He was house broken, but recently he started going the bathroom on all my rugs, and even in our 5 month old daughters room. I can not have this, my house is going to smell. I really don't know what we are going to do? I hope...

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

How do I get my puppy to stop peeing in the house? [ 4 Answers ]

My labrador/australian shepard mix puppy (9 weeks old) was just brought home 4 days ago. He is not shy any more, but he likes to pee EVERYWHERE around the house. When I take him outside, he does not pee. And he starts barking and whinning really loudly when I put him in a crate. Does nuertering him...

How do I get my dog's to stop peeing in our new house? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I just moved into a brand new apartment, Our 2 female dogs ( one bassett hound and one min pin ) have started peeing in the house. Now the husband says the dog's have to stop it or they have to go! I don't know why they would do such a thing as they get let out several times a day to...

View more questions Search