Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ALANSHOMEMAINT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Change 4 wire condenser motor to 3 wire motor
    I need TO know how to wire a condenser motor. The one I am taking out is a 230 volt it has 2 brown capacitor wires and a black and white. The one I want to put in is a 230 volt/5 mfd capacitor motor. This one has a red wire a black wire and only one brown capacitor wire. How do I retrofit this. Please help its cold outside. Thanks in advance alan
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Look at the diagram on the new motor. It will tell you exactly what to do and what wire goes where. ALL new motors have a wiring diagram on the motor.

BUY a new capacitor most times they are different from motor to motor and the old capacitor could make the new motor go bad.
    ALANSHOMEMAINT Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2008, 07:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000
    Look at the diagram on the new motor. It will tell you exactly what to do and what wire goes where. ALL new motors have a wiring diagram on the motor.

BUY a new capacitor most times they are different from motor to motor and the old capacitor could make the new motor go bad.

It is a used motor with no diagram.

It uses 5mfd capacitor it say that on motor

It is 230 volt

Has a red wire , black wire and 1 brown for capacitor
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 3, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Go to this link. It has wiring diagrams for condenser fan motors on page 26. Use the alternative wiring diagram. Use the alternative 3 wire setup.

Follow the lines.

http://www.acsuperstore.com/specs/wa...OTORS_spec.pdf
    eatratdaily Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 03:01 PM
    Why are you trying to change out your condenser motor when it's cold outside? The condenser is part of the AC. If your system won't put out heat, fixing your condenser motor will not solve your problem. Or are you talking about the blower motor?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire up my new AC condenser fan motor? [ 7 Answers ]

My new AC condenser fan motor has an extra wire. What do I do with it? AC is a 1996 SEER 12 Rheem. New motor is an A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 208 RPM 208-230 volt. Old motor has 3 wires, black, brown, and orange. New motor has 4. Black, brown, orange, and brown with a white stripe. Does anybody...

AC Fan Motor - Extra Wire [ 5 Answers ]

The AC fan motor outside went out on my central unit . I purchased a new motor and got home and saw that it had an extra wire coming from the motor. I know where all the other wires attach to. On the "old" capacitor I took off "one brown" and "one black wire". On the side of the new motor it...

New blower motor has no white wire [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a new blower motor and the new blower did not have a white wire. Now the blower want work at all. How can I get this to work?

5-wire fan motor? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Holmes Products Window Fan Model HAWF 2085T This model has two fans, two motors. These fans run 2 speeds, and are reversible for exauhst and intake. My question is how can wire one motor separate from the other, to just run at a single speed. I can control on/off with plug... ...

View more questions Search