Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tom235 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2009, 10:00 AM
    a/c not blowing hard in a few ducts
    My a/c seems to be working fine it blows cold down stairs but it does not blow as hard upstairs and the one in the master is lighter than the other rooms up stairs. I know the upstairs will be a little hotter just because heat rises but its about 10 deg hotter. Any help with this would be awesome. I have replaced my filer and that helped a little.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
    Usually in all two story homes the duct system to the second floor is inadequate. This is probably your main problem to start with. You might try and adjust any dampers (if you have them on the ducts) to force more air to the second floor but if the return air duct is not large enough or installed to scrub the hot air off the ceiling area of the room even that will not be of great help.

You can thank the original builder of the home for this since older homes were not designed for A/C to start with and the newer homes do not get the extra money spent on HVAC duct work since the ladies like the fancier kitchen cabinets and floors so that is where the new home builders spend the duct work money instead.

The new home builders motto is make it look good to sell the house. No one cares about how the HVAC duct looks because it is hidden in the basement or behind the wall.

You might have a local professional do an ON SITE survey of your problem since it is just about impossible to see your duct system from here.

Jul 26, 2009, 09:44 PM
    Thanks hvac1000. When you say adjust your dampers what do you mean?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 27, 2009, 07:30 AM
    There could be little damper handles on the round duct that feeds each room. They are usually exposed on the round pipe in the basement but could be placed elsewhere. NOW it could be that your system does not have them to start with so look for them and if you do not find them that is the way it is. Dampers cost money and the time it takes to install them costs. It does not cost that much but if the builder is cheap or the HVAC contractor is not paid to put them in you will not have them. Then the only way to adjust is to partially close down each register.

If unable to locate then you might need the services of a On Site pro to figure out your problem.

Jul 27, 2009, 05:25 PM
    Thanks my system does not have any dampers. I think I will just call in the big guns to see what can be done

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C is blowing warm air/outside is blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Goodman A/C for about 4 years, today my a/c started blowing warm and the outside unit is blowing cold air. Just last week I replace the filter and the a/c want out, the tech replace the capacitor because the fan went out. Now today the fan is working but the a/c is now blowing warm air...

Diagnosis what is wrong with my a/c not blowing hard [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a 99 double wide mobile home in Kansas. When it gets real hot outside like upper 90s to 100 the a/c doesn't cool good I can get it to about 85 degrees in here in the afternoon. I have lived in mobile homes before I know this is not normal. The vents are not blowing real hard air out of...

System was working fine, had serviced and now blowing warm and hard starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a high velocity system with a 5 ton compressor at 6000 feet. It was working fine and I figured I better get it checked before the hot season. Now it starts hard and blows warm, just after servicing.

AC not blowing very hard [ 4 Answers ]

We have a split A/C system. Our outside unit seems to be working okay. We have had it recharged, cleaned out, and whatever else. However, air is not blowing out of the registers hardly at all. What air is coming out is cool, but it isn't enough! My little house has been 80 degrees this past week....

Why would the insulation be blowing in the ducts, and vents? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope this does not sound stupid, but I was wanting to ask experts What would most likely be the cause of loose insulation, blowing In the ducts, and clogging the vents. I have been in the attic looking Around, but did really see anything out of the ordinary. It has started In the last couple...

View more questions Search