Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mythreegirls Posts: 10, Reputation: -6

Jun 24, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Does anyone know what caused this? Prominent vein under baby's eye.
    My baby was born with a visible vein under her left eye. It makes her look like she has a perpetual black eye. She's 6 months old know and it hasn't gone away.

Could it be from the high blood pressure I had during my pregnancy? I had preeclampsia and had to have an emergency c-section due to abruption of the placenta? Did this have anything to do with it?

Pediatrician doesn't really give me any answers but he's not worried about it. He thinks it might be less noticeable as she gets older. But to me it looks pretty bad.

Should I worry? Will it fade?
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2009, 02:24 PM
    I would have to agree with your doctor, but even if I didn't I don't think that you are going to get a better expert opinion then your doctors.

Only time will really tell, but baby's skin is not like our adult skin, I would think that more than fading, as your child ages the vein will not be as visible because of relocation, thicker skin tissue. I imagine this is your first child, but I would think the doctor's analysis is accurate. It will be less noticeable as she gets older.
    Mythreegirls Posts: 10, Reputation: -6

Jun 29, 2009, 08:35 AM

Thank you for your reply. I worry about it cause every time we go out some where I get asked if she got hit in the eye. I hope it does go away.
    halehz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2011, 03:53 PM
    Hi, I know you posted this 2 yrs ago but our 6 month old baby girl has the same problem under and around her right eye it started a few weeks after she was born and it was very hard trying to get it diagnosed but it was finally found to be a varicosity of the veins, which some babies get and have been told it will most likely sort out by 2 yrs of age. How is your baby girl getting on? Has her eye settled?
    RNmommy09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2011, 10:22 PM
    My daughter also has prominent veins on her face. When she was born she had a small vein on the bridge of her nose but by 5 weeks a dark blue vein showed up under her eye. It seemed like slowly each week veins started to appear on her face. In total she has visible veins under both eyes, one on the right side of her cheek, and several on the left side of her forehead. Of course the pediatrician says it's normal but I just don't understand why they weren't present at birth and just started slowly showing up. In the morning they are faint but then they slowly start to become darker as the day progresses. Sometimes they are lighter or darker depending on the lighting. What's strange is that they are almost non-existent when her eyes are closed. I just hope that they are so prominent and visible because her skin is thin and transparent at 12 weeks of age and that it's not something that's being overlooked by the Pediatrician. She's also fair skinned so I'm sure this has something to do with it too although I've seen plenty of fair skinned babies that don't have visible veins on their face. Regardless she is just as precious as can be and is developing great! I see that you all have posted awhile back so I'm curious to see if your children's veins have began to fade yet?
    lovemygirls Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
    I was wondering if your child ever outgrew the noticeable vein? My daughter who is now 5 was also born wiyj a very noticeable blue vein under her eye. Her ped assured us that their skin is so transparent and that it would go away. It is now much darker and several strangers have even asked her "what happened to your eye". It breaks my heart because my daughter is very aware of it and always wants to know why people ask. I can't tell her that people are ignorant... just wish I new how to make it better??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vein problem [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to ask for advice concerning blue veins. Over few years there are more blue veins showing all over my body. They are very visible especially on my arms and legs. I did not suffer up to now from any medical conditions. They are not spider veins. It just seems like my skin is transperent...

Vein on Penis [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 18 and for the longest time I've had a vein that runs on the bottom-outside of my penis shaft and directly onto the Urethral Opening of my penis. I'm uncircumcised and having that vein makes me unable to pull my foreskin down all the way. I'm wondering if this is a serious health issue or...

Vein under only one eye [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 17 currently, and I have always grown up with minor bags under my eyes. They have not been a really big deal, since I use a damp/cold cloth in the morning to reduce swelling. But, in the past year or so, an unsightly vein has appeared under my left eye. I use the cloth every morning to get...

View more questions Search