Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellekm11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 08:17 AM
    How do you make your ex realize what he had?
    My ex and I dated for 5 months. Everything was going GREAT, until a couple weeks ago. He wasn't acting like himself. I went over his house one night, and he told me things weren't working out and that he didn't want to be with me. I knew something was wrong, so I asked him why? He told me it was because of my 2 kids (boys), which he knew about, and said it didn't bother him from the beginning of our relationship. He told me he cares about me a lot, but wasn't sure if he felt the same way about me, as I felt about him. I want to get him back, but I have no idea how to go about it??
    Lonelyandbroken Posts: 118, Reputation: 15

Jun 3, 2009, 08:26 AM
    You need to stop worrying about getting him back. And just worry about yourself.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 08:42 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like it's been building up inside of him and he chose to let it out all in 1 day. There's nothing you can do about it. He had a change of heart and doesn't want to work on it. You can't force someone to do something that he doesn't want to do. It's time to let it go and move on.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 08:50 AM

Get yourself back first, as any man who isn't comfortable with your kids, will never be comfortable with you. Don't you agree?
    michellekm11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2009, 09:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by I wish View Post
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It sounds like it's been building up inside of him and he chose to let it out all in 1 day. There's nothing you can do about it. He had a change of heart and doesn't want to work on it. You can't force someone to do something that he doesn't want to do. It's time to let it go and move on.
    But the thing is... He called me on Saturday night, and I went over there. I stayed the night (nothing happened), and we went to breakfast Sunday morning. We kicked the soccer ball around and went to the park and flew kites and he bbq'd for lunch... He watched the hockey game with me, and actually came over and laid on the couch with me and snuggled up to me?? I don't know what to think? He did tell me he missed me..
    totallylost07 Posts: 77, Reputation: 5

Jun 3, 2009, 10:13 AM

He is feeling lonely.. if he has a problem with your children that is it.. you need someone that will love you for who you are.. and that a person with kids...
    Psychic1 Posts: 17, Reputation: -2

Jun 3, 2009, 10:23 AM

Unfortunately sometimes people feel guilty for what they said to you and they know it hurt you so he kicked around the soccer ball with you just like a friend. That kind of relationship is dangerous because if you don't let go and you keep thinking that something is going to happen 9/10 it won't happen he'll find somebody else and you'll be stuck holding the bag. If you know that you can just be his friend without doing anything and you know what I mean,let it go and move on because you're just going to get hurt in the end. I've been there to...
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 10:28 AM

Why would you want to be with someone that doesn't want to be with you because of your kids? It's great that he was honest.

Kids first, men later.

I really can't believe your considering "getting him back". Imagine how he'd make your children feel. Unwanted.

There'll be no positive outcome from being with him. He already told you what was up. Why mess with it? You could ruin your relationship with your children because of it.

So my question is: are your children more important than this or any other future man?

Sarah
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 11:04 AM

He needs to realize it's a package deal, you come with the kids(all included) he needs to deal with it, not you.

He's not ready for this, he's shown it. Get yourself back and then start living
    Syzygy Posts: 32, Reputation: 8

Jun 3, 2009, 11:06 AM

I agree with what has been posted here but I have to add that your children are forever yours. Don't stay with a man who is unable to love them like you are no matter how much you believe you love him.

You might want to get him back now but what about the future? People don't change that easily on things that are big issues such as kids. He will always neglect your kids and try to push them away. Please don't allow your kids to grow up in a non-loving environment.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 12:16 PM

If he can't accept your kids... well... like rome said: it's a package deal. You + two... and sure you're the one he'll be in a relationship with, but you also have two other souls in your care and they will be in your life regardless and if he can't handle that... it really is too bad for him...

As for him hanging out, snuggling and so on. It does sound like he misses you and of course that wouldn't be unnatural. But the two of you should be clear on the fact that your kids are there as well and a part of the 'deal'. If he should tell you that he wants you back...
    Lonelyandbroken Posts: 118, Reputation: 15

Jun 3, 2009, 12:19 PM
    Why would you want to be with someone who treats your kids that way. Seems like a pretty easy choice to me. Walk if he can't be what your kids need.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jun 3, 2009, 12:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michellekm11 View Post
    But the thing is.....He called me on saturday night, and I went over there. I stayed the night (nothing happened), and we went to breakfast sunday morning. We kicked the soccer ball around and went to the park and flew kites and he bbq'd for lunch...He watched the hockey game with me, and actually came over and layed on the couch with me and snuggled up to me????? I don't know what to think? He did tell me he missed me..
    When you first break up, it doesn't means that you can instantly cut ties with the other person. Just because he calls you and wants to see you doesn't me more than that. It's because the two of you have grown a certain dependence on each other.

The problem is that you two are leading each other on by seeing each other. You are interpreting all these little signs and details, instead of confronting it head on. You shouldn't be guessing what his intentions are. Stable relationships have excellent communication.

Make it simple for yourself. You + the kids OR nothing.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Jun 3, 2009, 04:03 PM

First, don't let someone try to make you feel guilty or worthless because you have kids. Your kids were there before him and will be there when he long gone.

Stop hanging out with him because your only torturing yourself. He already told you how he felt and you can't change his way of thinking no matter what.

Now, I don't if he said what he said as an excuse to break-up with you but the words were already spoken and there is no machine to erase what he said.

The two of you were only dating for a short time so moving on shouldn't be that hard. Get out there and find a man that will accept you and your kids and leave this one alone. Otherwise, your only causing your own misery.
    makapuu Posts: 304, Reputation: 63

Jun 3, 2009, 05:17 PM

Your question was, "How do you make your ex realize what he had". My response would be that he broke up with you because he realized that what he had was a woman with two kids.
    You have only dated him for 5 months. He knew about your 2 kids and it didn't bother him in the beginning because everything is rosy. But when the honeymoon phase is over, and he thinks about the long-term, it does seem to bother him.
    You and he still spend time together, but I think it's because he is thinking short-term comfort.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to make my ex-boyfriend realize that he had made a mistake for BREAKING UP [ 16 Answers ]

My ex-boyfriend and I have been together for the past three years. We are the same age(23). Although we went through a lot of ups and downs in our relationship (because he was very lazy person), we had always pull ourselves through the hard times and look past our differences. During the three...

I tried 2 get her 2 realize how much I like her [ 2 Answers ]

I can't figure out how 2 explain my problem so here's the conversation someone please explain to me how I can fix this problem: (she wasn't answering my phone calls and its been about a week since she did so I said this because I seriously thought she didn't like me but I realized it was...

I realize some of you might think I am terrible for even asking this [ 3 Answers ]

But I will ask anyway. Money is tight and podiatrist is expensive. My son has an ingrown toenail. I'm pretty sure it's infected. We have been soaking in epsom salt, letting it dry then applying neosporin with bandaid. He is not having pain. I worked at a podiatrist office so I know how...

How can I make my boyfriend realize how much I love him? [ 12 Answers ]

I honestly love my boyfriend unconditionally. I really do. And I tell him that all of the time, but I feel like I can never get my full point across because its kind of unexplainable.. any ideas? Give me ANYTHING haha.:)

View more questions Search