Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bradda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2006, 04:02 PM
    Loud fog horn noise when toilet flushed
    I have a problem when I flush my upstairs toilet. It sounds like a fog horn. Sometimes the noise is relieved if I turn the cold water tap on. It's driving me crazy and I can even hear it in the garden when someone flushes it! Please help! No one dare flush in the night.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Hey Brad,

Ahhh! The dreaded toilet monster that roars when flushed complaint. OR the audio message that's sent to the public every time you flush.
    Don't mind me. You're my first answer this morning and I'm just having a little fun.
    Seriously folks, the noise you hear is caused by the vibration in the stem and washer assembly. Shut the water off under the tank and remove the three screws securing the top of the ballcock. Pull the float ball andstem and washer assembly up and out. Pry the washer out and turn it over pressing it in in firmly. Place your hand over the open ballcock and reach down and turn the water back on to flsh out any crud that might be in there. Reassembly and give it a test flush. Sound better now? Regards, Tom
    jarlorry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bradda
    I have a problem when I flush my upstairs toilet. It sounds like a fog horn. Sometimes the noise is relieved if I turn the cold water tap on. It's driving me crazy and I can even hear it in the garden when someone flushes it! Please help! No one dare flush in the night.
    I think I have the same problem. When I flush the toilet upstairs, I get a strong vibration that can be felt in the water line which leads into the wall. When this happened back several months ago, I turned the knob on the wall to allow less water into the tank and the noise and the problem went away. It seemed that if the water rushed more slowly into the tank the problem went away. jarlorry
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 28, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jarlorry
    I think I have the same problem. When I flush the toilet upstairs, I get a strong vibration that can be felt in the water line which leads into the wall. When this happened back several months ago, I turned the knob on the wall to allow less water into the tank and the noise and the problem went away. It seemed that if the water rushed more slowly into the tank the problem went away. jarlorry
    The problem's still there. You just found a way to work around it. But if it works for you then I'm happy. Cheers, Tom
    jarlorry Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 06:48 AM
    Tom, The problem has come back. When I removed the ballcock, are you talking about the washer that is one the ballcock? Jar
    Knucklez Posts: 129, Reputation: 2

Sep 28, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Haa.. I just laughed my a$$ off when I read your title.

Good luck with your problem mate, your in good hands with speedball

Knucklez
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 29, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jarlorry
    Tom, The problem has come back. When I removed the ballcock, are you talking about the washer that is one hte ballcock? jar
    Yes, The washer in the stem assembly. Let me repeat, Shut the water off under the tank and remove the three screws securing the top of the ballcock. Pull the float ball andstem and washer assembly up and out. Pry the washer out and turn it over pressing it in in firmly. Place your hand over the open ballcock and reach down and turn the water back on to flush out any crud that might be in there. Good luck, Tom
    bradda Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 1, 2006, 10:16 AM
    :) Tom you are brilliant. Thanks a million. I followed your advice but when I took the cistern top off everything was plastic! No screws or washers. However I fiddled around with some plastic pins and the noise has gone. First quiet flush in months! You are great!:
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    Hey Brad,

Ahhh! The dreaded toilet monster that roars when flushed complaint. OR the audio message that's sent to the public everytime you flush.
    Don't mind me. You're my first answer this morning and i'm just having a little fun.
    Seriously folks, the noise you hear is caused by the vibration in the stem and washer assembly. Shut the water off under the tank and remove the three screws securing the top of the ballcock. Pull the float ball andstem and washer assembly up and out. Pry the washer out and turn it over pressing it in in firmly. Place your hand over the open ballcock and reach down and turn the water back on to flsh out any crud that might be in there. Reassembly and give it a test flush. Sound better now? Regards, Tom
    bambiina Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2012, 08:50 PM
    Hi, do you mean the water tank its self? I am having this issue with every toilet & every sink in my Condo.

It started happening every now an then and now its every time, I'm going crazy hearing it =).

FYI: very old building so I'm sure the parts are older
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 17, 2012, 07:04 AM
    You have piggy back your question on to a 5 year old dead thread. Start a new thread and give the specifics of your situation. The noise is caused by a vibrating washer. If this is occurring in every faucet and toilet the washer must be in a main valve.
    Repost and give specifics.
    kelv2012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Turn the washer upside down adjusted the nut a bit problem solved thanks very much used to vibrate the whole house, couldn't flush the toilet when me little nipper was in bed. Once again thanks for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Noise From Toilet In Master Bath [ 4 Answers ]

Help, we have lived in this home for about 4 years. It was new construction. Recently we have started having a loud noise when you flush the toilet in just one bathroom. The noise actually fades away after the toilet has completed the flushing action. It does not sound like a pipe it is almost...

Water rushes up when the toilet is flushed into another toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2 storey layout house. The guest restroom on the ground floor is exactly below the Jack and Jill Washroom of the top floor. It looks in both the restrooms the toilets share the pipe line The problem is when someone goes to restroom on the ground floor , the top floor toilet gets...

Loud noise after tiolet is flushed [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet is flushed there seems to be extra noise going on in wall where the pipes are. It only happens in the one bathroom. The noise sounds like the water to refill the toilet is louder than normal. I'm not sure how else to explain it. This just started recently - Our house is only 4 yrs...

Loud knocking noise on central air [ 3 Answers ]

I came home today to find that the inside part of the furnace/central air is making a loud knocking noise. It seems to be working fine, but is very loud. Any ideas? Thanks

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search