Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hmbumpy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2009, 01:59 PM
    US Citizen married to Canadian, (he still lives in Canada), can I claim exemption?
    I am a U.S. citizen married to a foreign national who lives in his native country (commuter marriage) and who has no income from U.S. sources. Can I claim an exemption for my spouse on my U.S. tax return?

I presently file as Head of Household, as I have a qualifying child, but I am wondering if I can additionally claim my foreign spouse, who does not live with me, as another exemption.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 29, 2009, 06:13 PM

He has to have a SSN for starters and has to reside in the US for another. I don't think it would be a good idea to claim him if he does not reside in this country.
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Apr 30, 2009, 12:21 AM

The first answer is not actually correct. You can claim an exemption for a nonresident spouse, withhout a SSN. And there is no requirement that he live in the US. To file with a nonresident spouse, you must file a W-7 application to obtain an ITIN number for him, this application should be sent in with the 1040 form you file, to the address shown in the w7 instructions.
    (There are variabe ways to get apply for this number, see the corresponding instructions for this form)

Your filing status options:

You may have filed HOH in the past, but will not be able to claim his exemption on a HOH return. This is because he does not qualify as a dependent as under IRS rules, a spouse can never be a dependent. And, as well there is no where on a HOH return for claiming a spousal exemption. Your only way to claim him would be to claim his as a "qualifying person", unfortunately nonresident aliens do not qualify as qualifying persons. (These rules are explained in publication 501, p. 7, under the heading "Nonresident Alien spouse" . Available on the IRS website, Internal Revenue Service.)

HOH

You can file using HOH, but will not be able to claim him on that return. In order for a married person to file HOH, they must meet certain tests described in that publication reference. One of which is; you could not have lived in the same household during the last six months of the year. Ill let you look at those rules.

However, you would you maybe able to claim him on a MFS or MFJ return.

MFS RULES

To claim him on a MFS return; he must not have any US income, and not be claimed as a dependent on any other US return. He appears to meet this. If you want this filing, again, submit the W-7 application with the 1040/1040A form to get his ITIN number, and mark the return accordingly. The IRS will assign the number during processing the w7 application to the tax return where the SSN goes, and then finish processing the return. Then they'll send a letter with the number, to the address on the application. This is a simple alternative, but one cannot claim EIC and some other credits using this filing status.

MFJ RULES

For a US citizen, (or resident) to file MFJ with a nonresident, the nonresident must agree to be "treated as a resident" for income tax purposes. This is critical decision, as this means the nonresident has to report worldwide income on this return, even if its earned out of the US. He maybe able to take the foreign earned income exclusion or foreign tax credit if he qualifies , to reduce the impact, or even exclude some or all of it off the return, but it stll must be reported. Additionally a statement must be attached to the return stating he agrees to be treated as a resident for the year, and other genreral information as required. This information, and the statement requirements are stated in Publication 519, p. 10, under the "Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident".

I hope this helps answer your question. This rule applies to any US citizen or resident who is married to a nonresident, whether they are in the US or out of the US.

Helpful References: Pub 501 is good for filing status information, but directed towarad US citizens.
    Pub 519, Tax Guide for Aliens
    Pub 54 Us tax guide for us cittzens and resident aliens abroad.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Apr 30, 2009, 02:30 AM

You can file joint return as residents and claim the child. Attach W7 (ITIN application) with your tax return.
    Read Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Apr 30, 2009, 02:31 AM

Mack2007 is not entirely correct here.

1. You may file HOH as long as you have a qualifying person living with you. You are considered unmarried because your husband is a NRA.

2. You may take the personal exemption for your spouse as long as he gets an ITIN.
    File Form W-7. He will need to obtain a certified copy of his passport. Check box e and put in your name and SS number, fill in all the rest, he signs, and submit the W-7, your tax return, and copy of passport to the ITIN operation address listed in the W-7 instructions. Better still find an acceptance agent to help
    You.Acceptance Agent Program

See http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p519.pdf page 27 last paragraph for confirmation of this post
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

May 1, 2009, 02:54 AM

Thank you for your answer Five Rings. hmbumpy, stated she already files as HOH, she wasn't from my reading needing help determining her HOH qualifications, she appears to be already using this filing status, and
    Claiming a qualifying child. She's asking if she can claim her husband.

The rules for claiming a spouse on a separate return, which includes HOH are clear, per Pub 501, p.10. She can claim an exemption for him if:

1. He does not file a return.
    2. he has no gross income for US tax purposes, and
    3. he cannot be claimed as a dependent on another US return.

He appears to meet these rules.

He will need an ITIN, "in addtion" to these rules. He doesn't "need" a ceritified copy of his passport only, as I'm sure you know many other documents also qualfiy for the issuance of an ITIN.
    The passport can be easier however, e.g. a foreign drivers license and foreign voters registratiion card qualify if one displays his picture. ( see to p.3 of the W7
    Instructions for all documents that qualfiy) Either party can file the return.

You are correct however, my earlier posting should state she can claim him on a HOH return, as a "spousal exemption" on Line 6b, when these qualifications are met, and I
    Apologize to hmbumpy for the misstatement.

Thank you for this clarification Five Rings.
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

May 1, 2009, 04:38 AM

Thank you for your comment mack20007.

I am a certifying acceptance agent and well aware of acceptable supporting documentation. I was merely trying to make my response as simple as possible.

Moreover, acceptable supporting docs are clearly listed in the instructions for the 2009 W-7.
    DanRegan0624 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2013, 08:41 AM
    Thank you all. I am in a similar situation. Married a Canadian in August; moved into her home in Canada and intend to reside here permanently (have filed for permanent resident status). My wife's a Canadian civil servant with no income from the US or anywhere other than Canada. I see where I have to file a US income tax return, which is fine. I also see where that has to be a joint return, which I guess is fine, too. If we file MFJ in the US, what do we file with Canada? My gross income is $196K (about $6500 of which is from consulting fees I billed my former employer after moving here) and her gross income is about $48,500. [Seems like this is a recipe for double taxation.]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2013, 07:57 PM
    Redundant question; see other post for my answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Married to a canadian citizen [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm am married to a canadian citizen as of July 2008 and he never lived in US or worked in US at any time. I was wondering if I should file married separate or file jointly? And what form should I use?

Canadian Citizen Previously on UK Ancestry Permit Married to EU National [ 1 Answers ]

Wondering if anyone can tell me about any rules reagrding the Non-EU national spouses residency in the U.K. I previously lived in the UK on a UK ancestry permit for three years. I met my wife there (German), our son was born there as well (although we did not take out British citizenship for...

Paying a Canadian citizen for sales in Canada? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to hire a Canadian sales rep to sell my product in Canada. Is that possible? How do I handle the taxes? We don't pay State Taxes in NH. Can I pay his salary in US and leave it up to him to handle his own taxes? How do handle his benefits? Please advise

I married a canadian citizen [ 2 Answers ]

I am a US:confused citizen ,in July I married a Canadian who thought his parents where naturalizen in the late 60's early 70's,come to find out they where not,Now we have to take steps to have him legalized in the US.I am so confused on how to begin this.What would be are first step to doing...

Got married to French citizen living in Canada. [ 1 Answers ]

No matter where I look, I can't find a straight answer... We got married here in the US (I'm a US citizen, he's a french citizen living in Canada for the last 18 yrs) in Sept. He works in Canada and so he goes back to Canada. He is coming home next week and we are going to start the immigration...

View more questions Search