Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lashes 27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2006, 04:26 AM
    Maximum age for brother and sister to share a bedroom
    Hi there,
    I have a son who will turn 1 in November and a daughter who will turn 5 in November also, they both share a room as I live in a 2 bedroom flat
    Does anyone know the legall age of when they have to stop sharing as I am getting no help from my local council into transferring into a 3 bedroom they said I will be looking at an 8 year wait.

I know a few people who have 4 children sharing one room and they won't even transfer these into a 3 bedroom property and 2 are boys and one is a girl?

If anyone knows the law on this please could you reply to me

Kind regards:p
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 16, 2006, 06:27 AM
    Where do you live?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Sep 16, 2006, 08:46 AM
    I can't say what the law is, but I think physically and emotionally you're probably looking at 8-12 - When they start hitting puberty.
    mysticque Posts: 95, Reputation: -7
    -

Sep 16, 2006, 10:31 AM
    Comment on phillysteakandcheese's post
    I strongly agree!
    mysticque Posts: 95, Reputation: -7
    -

Sep 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
    But if you have the financial stability. I think it would be wise to separate them at 5. They can learn their independence, confidence, and maturity without even screaming all the way from the bathroom.
    vyki Posts: 65, Reputation: 5

Sep 16, 2006, 12:08 PM
    I always thought the maximum age for opposite sex children to share a room is 7 but I'm not sure if it's a legal thing or just a guideline. What age did the council say is the maximum?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2006, 01:29 PM
    I can only speak for the US in that there is no real "legal" age, it is not like the police are going to come in and take kids away, I am aware because of fninical problems that a family of four live in a one bedroom, the kids sleep in the front room on the floor and/or couch. They keep their clothes in a closet and change in the one bathroom.

And I can go no and on and on.

While it is preferred, in many societies things are different from one extreme to another. But I would agree that after 5 I would try to if possible. But then you can only do as much as you can on the money you earn
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2006, 02:45 PM
    I'm with talaniman on this one. Where do you live?

The law varies depending on where you live.

But separating them by puberty is a good idea. At this point in time, you have nothing to worry about.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2006, 07:25 PM
    In my state I believe the age is 6. It could vary, however.
    darran311 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Legal age for child protection law in england is 5 if children are opposite sex but the council rules defy the law they seem to be able to get away with saying its 10 years old
    wills 2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2009, 10:20 AM
    Hi there I have been in contact with the council and I am too living in a 3 bed house with 4 children 3 girls 1 boy. My son is 10 in may and my daughter is 2 they share. The council have told me that my son has to be 10 before they will move me as that's the age by law. I hope this answers your question. You could just do what I do and that's ring them every day.
    sexybeast281 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2009, 11:32 PM
    7 is a load of rubbish I have 2 children in a 2 bedroom house my son is 10 and daughter is 7 the age is 11 good luck think your going to ned it
    marlana00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2010, 06:40 PM
    My daughter is six weeks and my son is almost 17 months can they share a room?
    mummazee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
    There's no law in existence which governs children of different sexes sharing rooms in privately owned homes. It's up to the home owners / parents to sort out bedrooms and sleeping areas and make sure all children are well catered for in terms of sleeping arrangements. Many children share bedrooms with their siblings and step- brothers and sisters and don't experience any problems (bar the occasional fall-out, as is normal with children!). If there was a law in place, it could be very difficult for people who are unable to buy a bigger home due to lack of money.

However, if the house is rented and owned by a housing association, sometimes they do have rules and regulations in place concerned with how many children, and which sex of children, can sleep in any one bedroom. For example, they may state that after the age of 10, different sexes of siblings shouldn't share a room. If this applies in this instance, then it would be best to contact the relevant housing association for information and to discuss the circumstances.
    mummazee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2010, 07:58 AM

There’s no law in existence which governs children of different sexes sharing rooms in privately owned homes. It’s up to the home owners / parents to sort out bedrooms and sleeping areas and make sure all children are well catered for in terms of sleeping arrangements. Many children share bedrooms with their siblings and step- brothers and sisters and don’t experience any problems (bar the occasional fall-out, as is normal with children!). If there was a law in place, it could be very difficult for people who are unable to buy a bigger home due to lack of money.

However, if the house is rented and owned by a housing association, sometimes they do have rules and regulations in place concerned with how many children, and which sex of children, can sleep in any one bedroom. For example, they may state that after the age of 10, different sexes of siblings shouldn’t share a room. If this applies in this instance, then it would be best to contact the relevant housing association for information and to discuss the circumstances.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Maximum load on 20 amp circuit breaker [ 14 Answers ]

I am aware of certain normal maximums. I guess I'm looking for somebody to tell me that I'm pushing things too far, or not. I want to hook up a portable air conditioner (Sunpentown WA-1220E) which is rated at 950 watts (and, mysteriously, at 9.0 amps) along with an HP 4Si printer, which is rated...

What to set my thermostat temperature for maximum saving [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My thermostat's lowest temperature setting for heat is 45 degrees. (I have forced hot air with a gas furnace) When I am home, the temperature is set between 68 - 70. During the day when no one is home it is set at 45 degrees. Some people have told me that this is not good practice...

Understanding maximum wattage [ 1 Answers ]

I have two floodlight fixtures on a single switched circuit. Each fixture has a pair of 150 watt bulbs for 300 watts per fixture or 600 watts on the circuit. I want to replace one of the fixtures with a fixture that has a motion detector as is commonly sold in hardware stores. Like the fixture...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search