Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kchim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 09:35 AM
    Chimney Liner Needed?
    We have a 1922 house with a chimney that goes through the center (no fireplace). I had the furnace inspected (furnace and water heater new in 2001) and it turned out fine. But, the guy said that our water heater tube and furnace tube need to connect and feed into a big hole in the chimney - then into a chimney liner which we would have to install.

Right now, both the water heater and furnace run separately into the chimney and there is no liner.

I asked the city inspector and he didn't think this sounded right. It's $400 and a permit, so if it's not needed, I would rather not get it. On the other hand, I don't want our chimney to get ruined due to condensation.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!
    Joshdta Posts: 2,549, Reputation: 45
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 09:43 AM

How old is you furnace? This would be the only reason to have a liner. If it is a newer furnace the flue gases will condencate and cause moisture in your chimney
    kchim Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2009, 10:41 AM

It's from 2001
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:53 AM

Then I would say yes, I would recommend you get a liner.
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2009, 10:54 AM
    They make flexable liners that you can install yourself. Without too much problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2009, 01:49 PM

It really depends on the efficiency of the furnace. It may be just as easy to put two lines. They are nothing more than flex tubes. Then put a chimney cap on the chimney.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 7, 2009, 04:44 PM

With any old chimney, your safe bet is a chimney liner. But, if you have an 80 percenter furnace, you should be fine without a liner. If you had a ninety+ furnace, it shouldn't be going out through the chimney in the first place, it should be going out a side wall. Or out through the roof separately. If your city inspector says its OK, let it be. If you are truly worried about it, I would have some other techs in to give you the low down. Most pros should be able to tell you if it is necessary or not by looking firsthand at your situation. Hard to say from here. Good luck and please let us know what you decide.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2009, 07:21 PM

You absolutely should not be trying to use a ceramic or brick chimmy, the reason is that in order to vent properly the gases must stay hot in order to rise out of the chimmy since these gases are heavier then air and will fall if allowed to cool. The best way to solve your problem is to run the same size vent that is on the water heater and same on the furnace(two vents) in double wall "B" vent or step up one size of the largest vent and tee into vent at the bottom of chimmy yet higher then the vent on water heater and furnace. This only applies to non condensing furnaces, which needs to be vented alone using PVC pipe. Good luck, Mike.
    P.S. a bad vent can kill you , take care.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2009, 09:00 AM

I would not run 2 seprate lins as sugested above 1 flue liner will be plenty, why spend the money for 2. As long as your furnace is under 125,000 btu's you can put it and your water tank into the same 6 in flew liner. Also they make power vents for around $375 that you can vent both units right out threw the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need a chimney liner when I install an 80% gas furnace that has a clay chimmney? [ 13 Answers ]

Do I need a chimney liner when I install an 80% gas furnace that has a clay chimmney?

Can I use a liner in a metalbestos chimney for wood stove? [ 8 Answers ]

I have a friend who just bought a cottage with an old airtight wood stove. This stove has an 8" flue, with double wall black pipe to the 8" stainless Selkirk metalbestos chimney. I believe the chimney is about 25 years old, but looks to be clean and in good shape. The stove burns well as she...

What can be done with a chimney that is settling? [ 2 Answers ]

The chimney at my house is pulling away. It was built of standard cement blocks, I believe they are sixteen inches square, with tile liner. The blocks are faced with fieldstone. It is, of course, attached to the side of the house. The house is of frame construction. I am pretty sure the footer...

Chimney Cap [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the quality of a universal chimney cap? It is more economical than our other choices but we have been told they are no good. The only problem is the person telling us they are no good is trying to sell us either a black one for $60.00 Can which apparently isn't great or a...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search