Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluesboys Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 02:09 PM
    Can't remove globe from ceiling light
    We've had this light for several years, and just now all the bulbs are burned out. There is no visible way to remove the globe. There is about an inch between the ceiling and the glass, and there are three white plastic clip things. Two of them don't budge at all, and one moves just slightly, but not enough to make a difference. I've tried turning the entire fixture CCW, pulling the clips outward, inward, and side to side. There doesn't seem to be a spring. Help!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 20, 2009, 05:12 PM

There is one right way of doing this... and pretty well all other ways will cause a cracked globe.

A picture might help.

Mar 20, 2009, 07:03 PM
    I have a picture on my desktop, but can't figure out how to attach to this email! Guess I need help with more than one thing!
    rtw_travel Posts: 347, Reputation: 36

Mar 21, 2009, 08:12 AM
    When you're typing your next answer, look for the button that says 'go advanced' and click on that. Then scroll down the advanced screen and click the "manage attachments" button

Mar 21, 2009, 10:05 AM

Here is a picture of the problem light. I have no idea who the manufacturer is at this point! Any help appreciated.
    Attached Images

Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2009, 03:28 PM

I assume you're saying the "globe" is the glass envelope over the bulb.

It looks like the three clips around the side must rock back or pull out to free the globe. There doesn't seem to be any other way to free it. I assume you've tried that, however.

Mar 21, 2009, 07:07 PM

Two of the clips don't move at all. One clip moves a little and I have tried pushing it both ways but it doesn't move far enough to do any good, as well as trying to pull it outward in case it was on a spring, but none of these work. Yes, it is more of a glass envelope than a globe.
    vwdieseljunkie Posts: 107, Reputation: 13

Mar 21, 2009, 07:46 PM

Is it possible to take another picture for us? See if you can get a shot from the side of the fixture so that we can see the base, and how the clips are attached to it.
    zebradontcare Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Had the same problem & just figured it out! Though it doesn't seem like it at first try, the clip that moves slightly is actually spring loaded and can be pulled outward & upward just enough to allow the dome to be removed.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 07:59 PM

Grab the clip that moves with one hand and put your other hand on te edge of the globe near the clip, push the globe pull out and down on the clip. There should be just enough movement to get the globe to drop below the clip edge. Reinstall is easy, get the globe onto the two rigid clips and it snaps over the moveable clip
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 13, 2010, 08:02 PM

The others are right, except I have never seen those clips pull any way but straight out.
    jackiej Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2011, 05:34 PM
    What do you do if you manage to get the glass off, remove the clips for painting the ceiling and then discover when screwing the clips back on that the screws just go right in and seem to have lost the bit to screw into?? Help!! My husband is not going to appreciate my DIY :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Remove the globe from a flush mount ceiling light [ 10 Answers ]

There is a domed shaped globe with a metal ring at it's base. There is no center thumb screw and no ring screws. I have tried to turn it but it moves a fraction of an inch in both directions and no more. I have slid a putty knife between it and the ceiling but I can't pull it down. Everything I...

How do I change the light /remove the globe in hampton bay fan windward II model? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello I have a Hampton Bay - pretty sure it is model #55295 (comes with remote forward/reverse) - the light just went out and I can't figure out how to get the globe off to change the light bulb. I swear we had a professor, an IT guy and another idiot (that's me) who should have collectively been...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Light globe replacement [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 52" Hampton Bay Ceiling fan with a light kit. While cleaning the globe, it fell and broke. The globe had a hole at the bottom large enough to allow three pull chains through. I have not been able to find a replacement globe anywhere.:confused: Can any one help locate this globe?...

How do I remove old pull chain light fixture from ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Gulf Coast Ceiling Fan with a low profile light fixture. It has 2 separate pull chains. One for the fan and one for the light. The light pull chain is the problem. It is not turning off the light by the chain. The wall switch turns off both the fan and the light. This tells me it's the...

Cannot remove globe from ceiling fan Hampton Bay [ 3 Answers ]

I saw the previous posts, but we still cannot figure out how to get the glass globe off our ceiling fan. We have tried slowly turning globe, but do not detect anything lining up to pull off the globe. Will it pull down? Is there another piece holding it up? Is it a twist and turn? The actual...

View more questions Search