Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drosse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
    What does claiming exempt on your w-2 mean?
    I have a n18 year old who doesn't know what to claim on her w-2.What does it mean to claim exempt on your w-2/
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2009, 06:11 PM

An exemption = dependent (one you support). The number of dependents one has determines how much federal and state tax gets withheld from one's pays check. The more dependents one has the less the government withholds for taxes. For example: If a man has a wife and two children, he can claim four exemptions. If you daughter is single with no children, she can claim one exemption.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 19, 2009, 06:28 AM

Not sure if this is what you meant, but:

If your daughter is asking about how to fill out her W4 form (not W2) for a new job, then to claim to be exempt means that she had no tax liability for 2008 and believes she would have no tax liability in 2009 despite her wages. If she isn't sure about that, I would recommend taking two allowances per the normal instructions:
    www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming Tax Exempt treaty in Amendment form [ 4 Answers ]

I came to US in July 2007 and I claimed my tax treaty to be tax-exempt which is true for 2 years. I then realized that I might be staying in US for more than 2 years so I changed my status to Tax payer and also filed my 2007 returns with a Check to IRS for the due taxes considering me as a...

Tax exempt [ 2 Answers ]

Was wondering if one could ask their company that they work for, to go tax exempt for a period to have more immediate cash. Is this possible legally?? Diane

Tax exempt? [ 1 Answers ]

Following some basic information: Income:36.500,00USD Fed. Tax: 4900,00USD State Tax: 1890,00USD Trainee at a private company. German citizen. Do I have to pay Fed. Taxes? The German American Chamber of Commerce California told me that I get the entire amount back..? Can somebody confirm...

Exempt and non-exempt salary [ 2 Answers ]

I know that non-exempt salary employees are paid for overtime. What is the federal legal requirement for an exempt employee. i.e. management?

View more questions Search