Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoseW Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2009, 07:46 PM
    What makes up retained earnings?
    What makes up retained earnings? Is undepreciated equipment in it? Thank you for any help.
    hoightoider Posts: 41, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2009, 08:56 PM
    Un-depreciated equipment will be reflected in net worth until it is fully depreciated. Every year the equipment will have less asset value due to the entries made for its depreciation. As the equipment is depreciated, it will reduce net income accordingly.
    codyman144 Posts: 544, Reputation: 31

Feb 10, 2009, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseW View Post
    What makes up retained earnings? Is undepreciated equipment in it? Thank you for any help.
    Retained earnings is equal to the sum of all the prior periods net income less the sum of all the dividends ever paid. If it were the end of your first year and you paid no dividends, after you closed the books retained earnings would equal net income.

No retained earnings has nothing to do with un-depreciated equipment (which is an odd term to use I will call it net fixed assets). Net Fixed assets would equal fixed assets (at cost) less accumulated depreciation and would appear in the assets section of the balance sheet. Retained earnings is in the equity section of the balance sheet completely separate from the assets section.

Are you studying for homework or a test, or did you just want to learn some accounting?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retained Earnings = Earnings less dividends [ 5 Answers ]

Could someone confirm that's the correct definition of R.E. I thought R.E. is net not pay out dividend but my professor has in his note as "Retained Earnings = Earnings less dividends"

Calculating net earnings and preparing statement of retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

I just started my introduction to accounting class in university and I am a little stuck on this question because we didn't really go over this is class... please help! Here is the information given: Sea Surf Campground is a public camping ground in Ocean National Park. It has the following...

Earnings per share and retained earnings [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused on how to calculate the earnings per share and the common dividend per share as well as figure out what the increased retained earnings for the year. The problem states that the company had an operating profit of $210,000. Interest expense for the year was $30,000; preferred...

Retained earnings [ 1 Answers ]

At the end of the year, retained earnings totaled $1,700. During the year, net income was $250 and dividends of $120 were declared and paid. Retained earnings at the beginning of the year totaled?

View more questions Search