Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdadd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2006, 06:06 AM
    Loud music
    I rent out a house to 2 tenants. The upstairs tenants are complaining that the downstairs tenants plays her music too loud. How do I handle this? Is there a letter availabcle to sent about petty issues.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2006, 10:43 AM
    Hello jdadd:

You didn’t think being a landlord was just about collecting the rent, did you? Welcome to the landlord business.

By the way, if you want to keep your tenant, I wouldn’t view her complaint as petty. WHAT she’s complaining about, may be petty. But the fact that she’s not happy shouldn’t be petty to you because it can cost you lots of money.

If I knew about a magic letter that you could send to both of them, that would allow you to keep living in landlord bliss, I’d tell you about it. As a matter of fact, if you were having legal problems with either of them, I’d tell you exactly what letter to write. But, how to get them to live together in harmony is something way, way beyond my expertise.

excon
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jul 28, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Is it possible to speak to her in person? Much better method for guaging the reception and she'll also get the impression you mean business -- a very important element in behavior management. I would not leave without a clear verbal agreement from her that included her demonstrating an understanding of what is considered loud. I would also see the complaining tenant to assure her action was taken. I would document all conversations in a record somewhere for possible reference later. May seem like a lot but if there is one thing the world has taught me is-- that the fight I am prepared for I often don't have and the one I am not prepared for, I get! LOL Letters can come later, if necessary-- sent certified mail of course.
    brooks Posts: 57, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2006, 11:52 AM
    You should have in your possession a set of renting rules for your tenants. Mail a copy to both tenants and have the complaining tenant submit her complaints in writing. Your tenant may have valid complaint for the violation of covenant of quiet enjoyment, but the complaining tenant may also be one of those people that are not surited for apartment living and will complain about just about anything. I would not take sides on this one until I could verify that the upstairs tenant has a valid reason for being upset. If you determine that the downstairs tenant is actually playing his music too loud during evening hours, and refuses to curb his behavior, then start documenting and find a reason to evict.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loud Air Return Vent [ 23 Answers ]

I have a small 850sqft condo. Lived her a couple of years. I have an old Borg Warner 65000 input BTU/HR unit. Model P3UGD080N6501A. Its an older unit. There is only one return in the condo which is located on the far side of the living room, connecting directly to the HVAC unit which is on the...

Loud Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

Hello- Our neighbors have installed a heat pump recently much to our dismay. It’s located on the side of there house which is only about 5 feet from our living room wall. Needless to say, the sound is coming straight into our living room. It’s a constant buzzing noise. Any ideas how we can...

Whirlpool Senseon - loud rattle [ 5 Answers ]

The problem did not exist on previous use four days ago. Today the dryer runs normally; electronic control panel working, drum tumbles clothing, heat works and dries clothes but there is a loud metallic rattle type noise while the dryer is in operation. The rattle is consistent with the overall...

Loud Return Air Duct [ 1 Answers ]

I have a forced hot air furnace, installed in September 2002, located in the basement. The blower motor is belt driven, single speed. While the blower is running it you can hear it all over the house. The return air grill is located out side of a bedroom and during the night when the blower comes...

Ac Making Loud Noise [ 1 Answers ]

My AC makes a loud noise when cycling. Also it never gets any cooler than 75. Could this be my compressor? How hard is this to fix yourself?

View more questions Search