Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klsaferite Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
    How to convert remote control ceiling fan to three-way pull chain
    I am wanting to change over from a remote control to a manual pull chain for my Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light. I have a off/on light pull switch which will not be a problem. I also have a 3-way switch that I want to wire into the fan. Existing wiring: black and white power; small yellow, red, pink, black wires. The 3-way is marked: L,1,2,3. Please help!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2008, 10:46 PM

I take it the fan has no pullchain already?

Where are you getting these existing wires from?

Pictures would help.

I DOUBT this can be done easily.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 05:53 AM

Like above, if no pull chains, won't be easy, If 3 wires out of receiver, bypass receiver, will be on high, then use a wall speed control.
    If many wire are out of the Module, you will need to determine wire switching and connections at all speeds, then find a pull switch to duplicate connections. Not going to be easy, not impossible. Good Luck
    A deciding factor may be, Do you have more money? Or time? On your hands.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 01:18 PM

Strat, it's more than that, because if there are more than 5 wires out of the receiver, then the capacitors are in the receiver too.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2008, 09:33 PM

Your going to have to be good to do what you want. SOme possible ceiling fan diagrams are here:

Ceiling Fand wiring Diagrams

The first might be the right one.

The remote receiver will likely have two capacitors rated for AC volts. Something like 5 uf 250 V and they are big. There are probably two of them.

You would have to get a 3 wire cap (most likely) from here:
    CeilingFanParts.com - Switchco Products - Capacitors

You can test using a 60W light bulb in series with the fan.

If the remote control does direction too, it will be super difficult.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Pull Chain [ 6 Answers ]

Ok, so I got a little huffy last night holding the baby and toys while trying to find the number online to call ahead for seating at Texas Roadhouse. I pulled too hard on the fan pull chain and sure enough it broke off at the start of the chain, I was sad to see the connector piece attached to...

Pull Chain on Ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

My son pulled to hard on the chain to the ceiling fan and it came out. How Can I fix this at home?

Ceiling fan light pull chain [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled the chain to hard, can I replace the chain? If so how, Is their a kit to buy or does it come all on its own? Or do I need to get a new ceiling fan? In the dark?

Hampton Bay fan, convert remote to pull chain [ 7 Answers ]

I just had a Hampton Bay fan installed in my vaulted ceiling. It is a fan with lights. Installer was unable to install the remote unit because of the steepness of the ceiling and the longer downrod. The fan is currently functioning with a wall switch but only on high speed. We did not put the...

Replacing pull chain on ceiling fan [ 2 Answers ]

How do you replace the pull chain for the light on a ceiling fan?

View more questions Search