Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gangster1 Posts: 60, Reputation: 3

Dec 21, 2008, 03:29 PM
    Anxious about alcohol
    I haven't drank alcohol in 2 months and lately I been having cravings! The holydays are coming and I don't want to drink. My questions is, is it safe to drink non-alcoholic beers? I am also thinking about going out with my friend to the bar and drink but don't want to. Will I relapse?
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2008, 04:48 PM

First,If you hang out in the barber shop,sooner or later you'll get a haircut.

Hanging out in a bar will get you?

Drinking non alcoholic drinks are going to what,it'll tell you that (supposedly) needed taste of beer is OK,so what is drinking a real one going to hurt?

The alcoholic mind is always on the ready to take you back to the chaos you have been in before.I say it is right outside the front door doing push-ups and sit ups ,staying in shape to be there to pick you up when you slip.A slip for an alcoholic means what?More of the same,the past revisited.All the effort you have put into recovery gone,you start right where you left off,in the grips of a progressive and continuous disease.

I hope you do something else other than seeking the old ways during the holidays.

I wonder if you have any support to go to when this thought process hits?

In AA they ask the newcomer to have a sponsor to call with these thoughts and get this same advice.Do you have anyone like this in your life?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangster1 View Post
    I haven't drank alcohol in 2 months and lately I been having cravings! The holydays are coming and I don't want to drink. My questions is, is it safe to drink non-alcoholic beers? I am also thinking about going out with my friend to the bar and drink but don't want to. Will I relapse?

I don't know about hanging out in bars where alcohol is served, how strong you are, how smart that is, but I see no problem with non-alcoholic beer.

Do you have a support system - a friend you can call and talk to, a group?

The holidays are rough if you have any type of addiction.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 21, 2008, 05:53 PM
    Cravings are your body telling your mind, "go drink" and its time to call your sponsor, or get one, and avoid the people, places, and things, that are dangerous to your sobriety. If you don't do the right things...
    Go to AA meetings
    Stay away from places that drinking is going on
    Stay away from people who are drinking
    Call your sponsor..........................then your chances of a relapse increases for sure, so stay around the ones who support your sobriety. AA has many activities around the holiday, seek them out, and stay sober, minute by minute. Go for 3 months

Good Luck.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 02:36 AM

Seriously,I have known many recovering alcoholics who,upon drinking the non alcoholic beers who have relapsed.The mind slowly denies the thought of non verses the real stuff.If taking a chance like that is what you want to do,remember the way the past was,play the tape out and remember how hard it is to stop and recover.

It's a slow death if you drink,it's a full rewarding life if you recover and stay sober.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 11:45 AM

Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a drunken binge, my friend.

Stay away from "non-alcoholic" beverages, bars, people who drink etc etc.

Your life has changed and you are working on staying sober. Contact your AA friends and have activities with them.

Good Luck to you!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux View Post
    Sounds like you are setting yourself up for a drunken binge, my friend.

Stay away from "non-alcoholic" beverages, bars, people who drink etc etc.

Your life has changed and you are working on staying sober. Contact your AA friends and have activities with them.

Good Luck to you!

I stand corrected - a friend of mine is recovering, goes to bars, drinks non-alcoholic beer, has never relapsed.

Now that I've researched it I see the dangers - my error.
    southerngalps Posts: 1,334, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Dec 22, 2008, 05:46 PM

I guess it just depends on the strength of the person. I have a friend as well who has been sober and drinks non-alcoholic beverages for the taste.

But would you want to chance it?
    Expert

Dec 22, 2008, 06:09 PM

As we get further along in our recovery, we can do many things that we couldn't before. Two months is not far enough along, for testing ones will power.

Dec 22, 2008, 08:21 PM

I seen it happen before! Eventually I end up drinking regular beer after I have drank non-alcoholic beer but that was only after beein sober for a week. Right now I am talking about two months
    Expert

Dec 23, 2008, 12:19 AM

Why even put your recovery in danger at all as, aren't you sick and tired enough yet?????

By the way, your 30 days overdue about getting a sponsor, an absolute must at this stage of your sobriety. Get a good one, and if you haven't made your 60 meetings in 60 days he will ream your a$$, I would. Get on it and stay the freak out of bars period!!!!!!!!!!

The quickest way to relapse, is to follow your friends, rather than do what your supposed to be doing, for yourself!!.

Dec 23, 2008, 12:27 AM

I understand about the bars! That is an easy way to drink again since there are others drinking and damning myself for not doing it, but about at my family's? I can do it! A 6 pack of non-alcoholic will just be fine
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Dec 24, 2008, 03:07 PM

As mention already why even chance it again. Don't drink it! Urges, to me, is just to test your will power so don't give in to it.

Eventually, your going do what you want but I hope you make the right choice because if you start drinking the non-alcoholic beer now then what is going stop you the next time? Then the next thing you know your right back from where you started.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2008, 10:53 AM

Non-alcoholic beer contains a small amount of alcohol (0.5% +/-) as indicated in the attached:
    The Dangers of Non-Alcoholic Beer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Don't know what to do - very anxious [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am a single mum of two children aged 10 & 13 - I have been separated from their father for 7 years, I receive no maintenance from my children's father and together we own the house I live in, I receive income support and interest payments on my mortgage.I have been in a relationship for...

Anxious, anxious, ANXIOUS! [ 3 Answers ]

I'm soooooo anxious to know if I am pregnant or not. The thing that struck me as so odd was that about 9 days ago had very slight spotting only for about a day. I never get mid-cycle bleeding especially since I am on the pill. Could it have been implantation bleeding I keep wondering? I've been...

View more questions Search