I had one nearly choked my dog who swallowed a big piece prematurely. Had I not seen the vomit on the floor I would have never heard him choking, he was so silent. And had I not had long fingernails to dig into the slime-covered thing, I would have not been able to reach down his throat far enough to pull it out. One of the scariest moments with a dog I have ever had.
The product was rawhides pieces sold in a big box by Milkbone. I wrote the company and never got a response but I watched and saw that particular product disappear from the shelves. Since then, no rawhide anything in our house! I like the hard rubber "Kong" toys (you can fill them with treats - my dog's fav toy!) and "Nylabones" for my busy chewer instead.