Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    runner53 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
    Connecting speakers to Sony Bravia
    Hello all! I recently picked up a Sony Bravia 46". I would like to add some addition speakers to it to enhance the sound of both TV and digital music channels (which I will son be subscribing to). I already have a DVD player and several good speakers, so I really don't need a HTIB system. What's the best, most cost effective way to do this? Can I just buy an inexpensive receiver? My old TV had inputs for extra speakers. Thanks. I appreciate it.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Dec 4, 2008, 11:33 PM

Your DVD player is presumably connected to a receiver/amplifier of some sort, to drive the speakers. So why not just run a cable (3.5mm stereo phone plug to 2 x RCA 'phono' plugs) from the PC's headphone socket to the amplifier's spare stereo input (AUX or whatever)?

Dec 5, 2008, 09:19 AM

Hi Daniel! I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. My DVD player is hooked up directly to the TV. When I said I have speakers, I meant that I have some that I can use (in lieu of having to buy an entire HTIB). However, they are not hooked up. (Which brings me back to my question. Will a cheap receiver of some sort work? Sorry about the confusion.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Dec 5, 2008, 05:05 PM

OK, I'm with you now. Your Bravia TV appears to have audio outputs (the spec says "Composite Monitor Out / Audio Out: x 1" and "Digital Audio Out: x 1 (Optical)"), so yes, all you need is an amplifier or receiver. Hook up one of those audio outputs to the amplifier/receiver (the digital connection will yield better quality, and also allow DTS/DD surround for DVDs, if your amplifier/receiver has the appropriate decoders), connect your 'spare' speakers to the receiver, and you're away!
    Rgds, Daniel

Dec 6, 2008, 10:14 AM
    Thank you Daniel. I greatly appreciate the assistance.
    ducpal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2011, 05:46 AM
    I need amplifier wi9th speakers to connect to dvd player for nice enhanced sound effect may be 2000 wattas or above.
    Pl advise which amplifier with speakers i shd buy with sound output 2000 watts.
    Thx

Pucp
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2011, 03:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ducpal View Post
    i NEED AMPLIFIER WI9TH SPEAKERS TO CONNECT TO dvD PLAYER FOR NICE ENHANCED SOUND EFFECT MAY BE 2000 WATTAS OR ABOVE.
    pL ADVISE WHICH AMPLIFIER WITH SPEAKERS i SHD BUY WITH SOUND OUTPUT 2000 wATTS.
    tHX

PUCP
    A couple things. One, start your own question. You are more likely to get an answer this way, rather than piggy-backing off someone else's question.

Also, please take some time to post clearly. Take off your caps log, and try to use better language. We don't appreciate text speak.

When you post your own question, please provide some details. Are you looking to use some existing speakers? If so, what are their specs? We will need their peak wattage and impedance. Both of those should be listed on the back of the speakers.

Please keep in mind that most sound systems do not need 2000 Watts (that's actually probably quite excessive). It's actually the lower quality systems that try to "pimp" out their wattage as a feature.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sony Bravia TFT - How do I remove the clock from the bottom left of the screen? [ 3 Answers ]

During DVD playback on my Sony Bravia 40" there is a clock in the bottom left of the screen that I am unable to remove and can not find any instructions to do so! Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can remove this from the screen? I am using a Sony DVD Recorder RDR-HXD860 to play the DVD's ...

Sony Bravia HDMI connection to DVD not working (Denon S-301) [ 0 Answers ]

I just got a Sony Bravia and hooked it up to a Denon S-301 using an HDMI cable, and got nothing. Is there some sort of "intelligent search" for components on either the Denon or Sony? If not, how do I get them to recognize each other? Thanks

Sony Bravia [ 1 Answers ]

I own a Sony Bravia TV with built in digital tuner and timer. I record onto my DVD recorder by using the digital program guide. In all cases the DVD records the correct time, but occasionally not the correct program, and I cannot find out why. The manuals are no help, does anyone have any...

View more questions Search