Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Harris888 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2008, 09:32 AM
    How long can they hold you in jail for probation violation
    My husband is being held in jail for probation violation, but he has never received any documents in 40 days. We have proof of prosecutorial and judicial misconduct, which caused him to plea in 2005. He was never found guilty, but did almost 3 years in prison before released on judicial release. Our motions to vacate were filed in May 2008, and he is yet to have a court date to hear motions. They just keep harassing him and giving him violations. How long can they hold him without revocating him or dealing with the misconduct issues?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 09:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Harris888 View Post
    My husband is being held in jail for probation violation, but he has never received any documents in 40 days. We have proof of prosecutorial and judicial misconduct, which caused him to plea in 2005. He was never found guilty, but did almost 3 years in prison before released on judicial release. Our motions to vacate were filed in May 2008, and he is yet to have a court date to hear motions. They just keep harrassing him and giving him violations. How long can they hold him without revocating him or dealing with the misconduct issues?

Did he violate probation or are these trumped up charges? What documents are you waiting to receive? Formal charges? Has he been arraigned?

Not unusual in my area to file a Motion in May 2008 in criminal court and still be waiting for a date in November.

Nov 30, 2008, 12:10 PM
    There are no new charges. Yes, there is a alleged probation violation; however, when we showed-up for Hearing to Revocate (10/22) and our Motion to Vacate, the prosecution claimed they were not prepared for the Motion to Vacate (even though they answered it over 7 months ago), but they arrested him that day. Our attorney was being generous, and agreed to a continuance. Our second hearing was supposed to be last week November 25, but our attorney had to file a continuance because she became very ill (I saw the medical excuse.) The next hearing date is now December 19, but the docket only shows Revocation Hearing. As far as documents, should he receive something from the probation office to notify him what he has violated? The judge set a bond a week before his hearing, but had I not told him, he wouldn't even know.

Nov 30, 2008, 12:14 PM

We have an attorney, and she is good. I am just frustrated with the injustice that has and continues to occur. I am looking everywhere for some guidance.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Hello H:

You have several issues going on here.

One apparently has to do with his plea, and whether he SHOULD be on probation at all. That is a separate issue from the violation, because he IS on probation whether he should be or not.

You're going to have to deal with them one at a time. I doubt any motion to withdraw his plea will be heard at a revocation hearing...

But, there's a lot of stuff going on here. I couldn't give you any advice that's worth a damn except to listen to his lawyer.

excon

Nov 30, 2008, 04:39 PM

There is a LOT going on here, and when it's all over, I'll tell you all about it! Your response brings me peace because I know we are untangling a real mess! So to have a complete stranger pick-up what I put down in just a few paragraphs gives me hope.

The best part is we are a strong united front, and we found an attorney willing to fight for justice. I have been trying to untangle the unjust-web for a couple years now and each day brings us closer to the end.

Thank you, again, for giving me hope... one issue at a time.

Mrs. H
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 30, 2008, 06:39 PM

The issue is that to be on probation and to have served 3 years someone had to be found or plead guilty of something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much jail time for probation violation? [ 41 Answers ]

What is the maximum jail time someone could serve for violating (leaving state) a felony probation in Ohio?

Probation violation, Jail time possible? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: Hi, my husband was charged with dui, and served 90 days in jail last year, was released on Sept. 18, 2007, and has been on probation since then, which was supposed to end on June 21, 2008. He had his license suspended, which in turn, cost him to lose his job, because as an auto...

How long can a probation officer hold a person in jail without a new charge [ 1 Answers ]

My brother was arrested for a probation violation his probation officer said he is not getting charged with a new charge how long can he be held in jail before they have to release him... we were told by a friend to the family 10 days was the max without a new charge being placed on him

Will My Boyfriend Go To Jail For His Probation Violation [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone, My boyfriend plead guilty to a 5th degree felony for possession of cocaine (back in 2005) He is currently on his last year of a 2 year probation period (intervention in lieu of conviction) and we believe he will test positive on a recent drug screen for marijuana. What will...

Will probation violation land me in jail [ 2 Answers ]

I got introuble 6 months ago and got 6months probation ,30 days in jail all but 5 days suspended and lost my license.So I can't drive and live 40 miles from my probation officer. Today she ordered me to come and take a drug test, I can't find a ride there and she says she's giving me a probation...

View more questions Search