Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Babe3530 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2006, 06:00 AM
    Evicting an adult family member
    Tried to help a family member who was down to get back on his feet by giving him a room in my house for almost a year. Now he does not want to leave and makes threat. Gets violent at times. How do I go about getting him out? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Babe3530
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 24, 2006, 09:57 AM
    Hello Babe:

Call the cops. Tell them he's a trespasser and an abuser. Go to court to get a restraining order. If either of those two things are successful, he'll be out forthwith.

The problem you may have, is that HE will try to convince the cops that he's a tenant and that the matter is civil. He could be right. Did he ever pay rent? Utilities? Did he keep receipts? Do you have any written agreement with him? Even without any of those things, the cops are most likely going to agree with him. If you want him out NOW, you can't let the cops do that.

Otherwise, you are actually going to have to evict him in civil court. That could take, depending on your jurisdiction, up to a month - longer if he fights it.

No good deed goes unpunished.

excon
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Assuming he has never paid rent, etc...

One day when he is out, change the locks and don't let him back in. Then call the cops when he comes back.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 25, 2006, 12:55 PM
    Call the cops and tell them he is threatening you and is violent!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 26, 2006, 09:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Babe3530
    Tried to help a family member who was down to get back on his feet by giving him a room in my house for almost a year. Now he does not want to leave and makes threat. Gets violent at times. How do I go about getting him out? Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Babe3530
    Sorry I thought you were desperate!!
    kuehl2010 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2009, 11:54 AM
    Worse case scenario, only YOU can decide what you want to do, faced this decision myself, actually had to move out to a new location, don't worry either the person will support himself or find some other sucker, if you are being threatened seek support from a domestic abuse support center, I am facing major issues with teenage about to be 18, abusive and threatening like father. I need to make some hard choices
    mirame Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 04:21 PM
    You need to call the cops and tell them about the threats and that you fear for your safety and that you need a police report to go and get a 3 day eviction to be able to kick him out and don't feel sorry because you have enable a person to do nothing for themselves. Remember if you have no one to help you than you help yourself. So stop feeling sorry for others and start taking care of yourself

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Evicting an adult child in Tennessee [ 23 Answers ]

My son in 20 years old. He came home from college after getting kicked out for a GPA of under 1.0. He asked to come home for "3 weeks". This was May 4, 2006. The only room I had was my garage. I didn't want to make things too comfortable for him. He stays out half of the night drinking and...

Eviction of family member [ 6 Answers ]

Can a family member (21 years old) be evicted from home (Virginia)... not contributing to the household, unemployed, not looking for work, stealing from the house.

? About getting a family member to move [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My husband and I live in a single family home that is owned by his mother. She lives in an inlaw apartment over the garage. We pay her rent to live here. My husbands sister lives in the basement which is finished off and is supposed to be paying rent. Since my husband's father passed away...

Evicting Adult Child not paying Rent [ 9 Answers ]

How can I throw an adult child who will not follow rules of house and just want to waste his life away?

Bad family member [ 11 Answers ]

Hi gang, You all know I'm an old retired dude with a quacky sense of humor sometimes. I have loved being here with all of you and helping people who ask for it.. I've come to see us all as family and I also know we sometimes disagree, and that's fine because we are all different with different...

View more questions Search