Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DragonFistLeo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2006, 12:39 AM
    Finger Nail Infection
    I think I have developed some kind infection in the fingernail of my left ring finger. The nail itself is not painful or discolored, but the skin along only the left side of the nail is very sore and tender and is red and slightly swollen, especially out closest to the tip of the finger, at the corner of the nail. Neither the right side of the finger nor any other part of the finger is affected whatsoever and the symptoms are not present in any others places on my fingers and hands. Is anybody in here familiar with these types of symptoms? Is this some kind of common nail infection? And most importantly are there any really effective home treatments or remedies I can use to clear up the infection and help avoid a recurrence?
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Sep 17, 2006, 03:50 PM
    I know sometimes if I have or had a hang-nail it can be tender. My son likes to chew his nails and has an infection as we speak. I am using Fuciden on him right now. It's just an antibiotic ointment. It seems to be working. I don't know about any home remedies. Maybe aloe?
    rono Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Mar 4, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonFistLeo
    I think I have developed some kind infection in the fingernail of my left ring finger. The nail itself is not painful or discolored, but the skin along only the left side of the nail is very sore and tender and is red and slightly swollen, especially out closest to the tip of the finger, at the corner of the nail. Neither the right side of the finger nor any other part of the finger is affected whatsoever and the symptoms are not present in any others places on my fingers and hands. Is anybody in here familiar with these types of symptoms? Is this some kind of common nail infection? And most importantly are there any really effective home treatments or remedies I can use to clear up the infection and help avoid a recurrence?
    It is nail fungus, I had it too. It needs to get treated with lamasil. If you had this for a while you will need to take it for a couple months.
    Guest Posts: n/a, Reputation:

Apr 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
    I chew my nails constantly and sometimes get infections in the side of my nails. I have one on my thumb right now. The right side was swollen, red and throbbing. It hurts a bit to do but I squeezed it and a good amount of puss came out at the side of the nail where it meets the skin. I did this twice and put some antibiotic ointment on it with a bandage. That seemed to solve the problem.
    2008chrissy Posts: 131, Reputation: 18

Apr 2, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Paronychia (Nail Infection)

This condition is called Paronychia, which is usually from a bacterial infection. Normal, healthy skin has thousands of bacteria on it but sometimes this bacteria can enter the skin and start to cause problems, as in your condition. I wouldn't suggest a fungus cream unless you doctor diagnoses you with a fungal infection. Your doctor will most likely put you on an antibiotic and lance the swollen patch on your finger and squeeze the "pus" out to alleviate your pain. Soak the finger in warm water 4 times a day. I've also enclosed a picture.
    Attached Images

twilight-freak Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2008, 10:21 PM
    That happened to me a few times...
    What I did was get a sterile needle and puncture it and squeeze the puss out of it (the white part because that's where the puss is)
    You have to do this a few times but it gets better really quick
    The only problem is poking it is somewhat painfull but its worth it afterward
    msgart2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 17, 2010, 12:31 PM
    I had this before and my nail actually fell off. I went on antibiotics but its starting to happen again and I have it on two fingers. Is it spreading?
    tomut2004 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2010, 08:06 AM

I think this symptoms more to paronychia. Which is occur when get up from morning sleep. Best way is to soak the finger into warm water several times a day to reduce pain and then soak finger in scouring liquor for reduce swollen several times a day. I tried this several times and it works.
    sarah_23 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Jun 26, 2010, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rono View Post
    it is nail fungus, i had it too. it needs to get treated with lamasil. if you had this for a while you will need to take it for a couple months.
    I also disagree.. it' sounds more like paronychia...
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 27, 2010, 03:05 PM

This does sound like a nail infection, I had one on my toenail once, you need to see a doctor to have it treated. I needed to get a side of my toenail removed and take antibiotics for a while. You can treat and prevent fungus by putting some vinegar on affected nails with a q-tip every day. It worked great for me and is much cheaper than traditional treatments.
    suzannex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2010, 02:26 PM
    I get this regularly !
    Soak your finger in salt water for 5 minutes or more and then put a plaster on over night ! It should go away by the morning but if not repeat until it does :)
    patleb940 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2010, 09:13 AM
    I have this kind of infection for the third time now. The first time, about 7 years ago, the doctor removed my nail and gave me antibiotics. The second time it went away by itself, I was so relieved! Now it is the third time and I'm praying I don't have to have my nail removed again. I really got to stop biting my nails, sheesh!
    dreadheadboyy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2010, 06:25 PM
    On June 26, 2010 Had A Finger Infection On My Right Ring Finger Right Where The Cuticle Is. When I Went To The Doctors He Told Me That It Was An Infection From Biting My Nails, So They Had To Numb My Finger, Then Lance It To Drain The Infected Blood And The Puss.

They Put Me On Antibiotics For 2 Weeks.

Now My Infection Is Coming Back As We Speak, So I Guess I Never Learned My Lesson

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Nail Biter! [ 10 Answers ]

Hey everyone! I have a major problem! I'm a cronic nail-biter! I try so hard to quit but I just can't! Any suggestions??

Two finger toilet flange? [ 2 Answers ]

I am about to install a toilet flange onto a 3" pvc pipe in my basement. I have been reading the postings and see that I have an option of fitting the flange over the 3" pipe or using something called a two finger toilet flange that fits inside the pipe. The waste pipe is not exactly perpendicular...

Nail Care [ 2 Answers ]

My nails are prone to grow ingrown and since it such an early stage as you can say I guess. Few sources suggests that I can treat it at home by the following: Soaking it in warm water twice a day. Trimming it straight  and smooth sharp edges with an emry board. Then elavate the nail and...

Cover art flipping the next finger [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever seen a cd with cover showing a guy sticking up his ring finger instead of his middle? If so please tell me the name of the band.

View more questions Search