Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 20, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Home Owner's Insurance and New Roof
    I need a new roof on my home. Can I use my homeowners insurance for a new roof? And, if so, with insurance companies the way they are these days, would their be a chance that they would drop me if I do this? Thanks
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 20, 2006, 09:31 AM
    My Geico Insurance policy will have no problem of covering for me..

I just asked them a few weeks ago that very same question and that's what they told me..

As long as I have damage to my roof due to nature(wind blowing shingles or siding off but NOT because my shingles or siding are old) and the claims adjuster can verify the damage they will replace the bad part... not sure about the WHOLE roof...

Moot point for me since I'm getting metal roof in 1 week installed... its far easier to call your insurance rep than to try understanding your policy.. lol..

Besides.. what do you pay insurance premiums for anyway?. they should not drop you if you are not a constant claimer.. but I never understood that... I pay $$ for coverage and when I need it they drop me?. BAD INSURANCE COMPANY
    Expert

May 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
    My damage is primarily due to nature, wind and rain and whatnot. But the wole roof should be done, I live in the South USA and it gets HOT and the sun beats down constantly. Because shingles are petroleum based much of this has broken down.

I know they should not drop me. I have never made a claim on any kind of insurance, but some companies do now due to the rising cost of premiums and the rising number of claims. I just hope mine does not. I have USAA and they cover military families, so they should probably be pretty good.

May 20, 2006, 09:48 AM
    Give'em a call... explain the situation (wind damage)and see if your roof has that type of coverage.. most likely you do.. and the adjuster may cut you a check to cover the whole thing if it's that bad
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 20, 2006, 11:56 AM
    As stated, it never hurts, but unless you have a replacement cost policy, the value of the repair is based on the age of the roof. Example, life of a roof is expected to be ( my guess not sure what insurance company uses)
    but lets say 15 years. If your roof is 10 years old, they would pay 1/3 of the cost of the repair. So if it costs 10,000, they will pay 3,333 of the cost.

If the roof would be over 15 years, they pay nothing or very little.

And as stated, they will want a damage that is covered under the policey different grades of policies, Homeowners, standard fire and so on. Each cover under different conditions.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2006, 04:24 PM
    Give them a call, have a claims adjuster come down and make an assessment of the cause of damage. But if its just aging, its unlikley they will pay for it. If you try to cause damage and they find out, not only will they drop you but you could be prosecuted for insurance fraud.
    Expert

May 20, 2006, 04:32 PM
    Well, I am not causing damage. And yes I know about insurance fraud, I used to work for insurance fraud defense attorneys and we defended the insurance compaines, that is why I am worried about being dropped.

My dilemma comes because I am having someone come and repair what damage there is, but I have been told that I need a new roof. Shingles are coming off, spots on the ceiling when it rains... etc. But to have the whole roof replaced, I am not in a position to afford it right now, maybe in two years when I am finished with nursing school, but not right now.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 20, 2006, 04:46 PM
    I understand your dilemma. But insurance is generally to protect against catastrophic acts, not normal wear and tear.

May 20, 2006, 06:37 PM
    I'd say you got a good shot at getting the current damage paid because its Nature NOT natural causes such as aging... but
    DOUBLECHECK YOUR POLICY TO MAKE SURE.. so DON'T REPAIR IT YET...

Call the insurance company immediately and state that wind blew shingles off your roof and now your roof is letting water leak into the house and its damaging the ceilings.. ask what do they suggest you do... most likely an adjuster will be there in less than 48hrs...

If this damage happened prior to ownership than NOTHING IS COVERED

As for the whole roof that's the adjusters call so get those milk and cookies ready or in my case PEPSI AND A 12 CUT.. im an cheap bribe... lol
    DonaldPDC Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2011, 03:14 PM
    Your duties in your most policy's are clear. Mitigate your sudden and unexpected damage, damage due to a covered peril. Have your contractor tarp your roof, now you have mitigated... Your covered peril wind, weight ice and snow tree hitting on roof etc is determined by the public adjuster you should be hiring as we speak who incidentally won't charge you unless they have made a recovery will also incorporate your interior damages sheet rock, insulation , paint on various surfaces, mildicide on joists, stud walls etc... Good luck
    Don Property Damage Consulting

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance/roof replacement [ 6 Answers ]

There was a tornado in my neighborhood 6 months ago. A roofer looked at my roof and said there is damage. He also said that my shingles are discontinued and are not being made anymore so the insurance co. Should replace the whole roof. The insurance co. said they can match any shingle as long as it...

Owner's equity [ 1 Answers ]

I have to do t-accounts, trial balance,income statement, owner's equity and a balance sheet on an example the teacher gave us. I completed the t-accounts and the trial balance. They are correct, but, I am stubled on the income statement and the owner's equity. I don't know how to figure if it was a...

Owner's Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Im having a problem. I have an account set up as contributions, drawings, and personal use of home accounts. I have a retained earnings and current earnings and total equity account. My question.I made some errors and have corrected them. I put entries in the retained earnings that shouldn't have...

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

Auto and home insurance direct mail response rates [ 0 Answers ]

We would like information on actual or projected response rates for auto and home insurance direct mail solicitations for the past several years in the States. We are trying to factually identify direct mail response rate trends for the auto insurance industry, and map where our client stands...

View more questions Search