Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jun 8, 2008, 06:41 AM
    Kitchen Cabinet Skins
    I'm finishing installation of our new Shenandoah kitchen cabinets, and am mildly impressed with the quality and workmanship of these mid-priced big-box-store cabinets. I have a question, though, regarding the cabinet "skins" that were provided for each exposed cabinet end surface. There are skins for the sides of the upper end cabinets and skins for the lower cabinet ends. There are also 8' skins for the 2 sides of the pantry and for the 2 sides of the fridge enclosure.

I'm not altogether sure about the purpose of these skins - since the basic cabinets all come with finished fronts and sides. Are these skins generally provided for added protection - or are they provided for additional strength and build-out?

Directions included say to use a high quality spray adhesive when attaching the skins to the cabinet sides. My assumption is to buy a 3M product for this job. I would have expected the directions to suggest using contact cement, the kind used in fastening laminate counter tops rather than the spray adhesive although the spray might be easier to apply.

I would like to hear any thoughts and/or suggestions about these skins and the gluing process from someone who has had prior experience with this task. Thanks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 08:45 AM
    The skins are purely decorative and higher quality than the normal end cap material. The skin can be glued but should also have a mechanical attachment of screws from inside the cabinet. This is very important, determine the total thickness of the cabinet and the skin, buy screws 1/4" shorter than that measurement.
    powrus Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Jun 8, 2008, 10:43 AM
    [QUOTE=ballengerb1] The skin can be glued but should also have a mechanical attachment of screws from inside the cabinet.

Thanks for your reply. Your statement about the higher quality of the skin makes sense and seems to be in order. However, I don't have the option of fastening the skin from the inside of the cabinet as the total thickness of the skin is only 1/8".

Let the gluing begin. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 8, 2008, 02:10 PM
    In your case let the glueing and the clamping begin.
    monkeys uncle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 04:24 PM
    Double stick carpet tape is ideal where there is not excessive heat. Construction adhesive like liquid nails is good but panels will need to be held until the glue dries by painters tape so they don't slide off.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2013, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeys uncle View Post
    Double stick carpet tape is ideal where there is not excessive heat. Construction adhesive like liquid nails is good but panels will need to be held until the glue dries by painters tape so they don't slide off.
    Note the original post was almost 5 years ago.
    monkeys uncle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2013, 09:29 PM
    People are still looking for answers about using wood skins today. The main reason is the photo finished end panels remain the same while your real wood surfaces age and mellow. It would be interesting to see how the original asker's cabinets have aged in 5 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paint the entire kitchen cabinet? [ 7 Answers ]

I am considering painting my kitchen cabinets. I have never done this and have been searching for info on the internet. While I have found numerous sites that discuss how to prep and paint them, I could not determine this: Do I paint the entire kitchen cabinet (meaning the inside) or do I just...

Painting kitchen cabinet doors [ 22 Answers ]

I am ready to paint my wood kitchen cabinet doors. They have been removed sanded and ready to go. I will be spraying with air spray gun. I have compressor and gun with, of course, a moisture filter in line. I need suggestion on what primers and with what type of paint, thinner if needed and what...

New Skins [ 17 Answers ]

I know it might take some getting used to. I know Rick wants all of us to try this for a week and then see. Well Quite honestly I do not like the new setup. It was better the way it was before. Joe

Under kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I bought two sets of touch sensitive under cabinet kitchen light set put them in but one set keeps flashing then stops all together I've replaced the transformer and the touch switch but the wires in the six port connector, when you move the wires there the light go out two which one you touch ....

Kitchen cabinet lighting [ 1 Answers ]

I've purchased hampton bay under cabinet lighting and the sets are limited to up to 200watts. If I have 2 sets can I splice the 3 setting dimmer switch to activate the 2 mutiple outlet strips?

View more questions Search