Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2008, 10:12 AM
    How to get rid of ground wasps/bees?
    I have wasps/bees (not sure what) living the ground throughout my lawn. There are a lot of holes. What is the best way to get rid of them.

Thanks,
    Catc
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 10:51 AM
    Those are bumble bees and not wasps. Wasps make their nest in tree tops. Bumble bees make nests in the ground. You'll have to wait until dark to do anything effective against them. They go back into the hive at night. You could use insectacide at night on them. If they are not bothering you, I would suggest leaving them alone as there are not enough insects out there now to effectively pollenate crops, etc. and killing more pollenators such as bumble bees is not good. America is presently in a honey bee crisis with entire hives being killed off and they can't figure out exactly why. You can just fill in the holes during the daytime when they are out of the nest. This way the bumble bees will just make another nest elsewhere. You can also try flooding the nest during the daytime also. That's the cheapest way with water. Please just try to get them to relocate instead of killing them.

May 27, 2008, 12:37 PM
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I do need to get rid of them. They are all over the grass by my pool filter which I need access to often during the day. I also have three little ones who are always running around our yard. I will try the insectacide this evening and see if the helps. If it dones't I try flooding them out.

Thanks,
    Catc
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

May 27, 2008, 01:36 PM
    WAIT A MINUTE! Wasps do nest in the ground! If they are robust, mindless, hairy, fat little buggers they could be bumble bees, but if they are skinny, hairless, determined, and defensive then they are probably wasps.

Some of the most vicious wasps do nest in the ground! BE VERY CAREFUL! Without knowing the situation, I would highly recommend hiring out this type of pest control. But if you do choose to do the work yourself, choose a "Wasp and Hornet Killer" type insecticide. These will contain fast-acting, knock down chemicals, that spray a stream, instead of a cone spray. This is required to make it harder for the wasps to find their way back to you. Wasps are diurnal. You should do this after sunset, or in the evening, when it is colder, to take advantage of the wasps more sluggish behavior at this time and to catch all the wasps at home. If there are numerous holes, you might have to cover the other holes so the rest of the colony does not come out to sting you. You should also be well dressed - don't leave any bare skin, don't wear wool. Have I scared you enough? Get this done professionally. Note the below authoritative website indicates that for those that try to do the work themselves that "Stinging incidents are likely"

Consult this site for more information Yellowjackets and Other Social Wasp Management Guidelines--UC IPM
    gnahcd Posts: 215, Reputation: 39

May 27, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Upon further consideration of your question. My recommendation to hire this work out still stands.

But I add to my previous recommendation... Flooding might work. If the bees/wasps were already tolerant of the water it takes to keep the grass alive, you will need to make the area considerably wetter for a certain amount of time to make them move or drown them. You could place a sprinkler on a hose to spray the area when the bees/wasps are quiet. Then be far away when you turn the water on. I have no idea how much water this would take.

I would not recommend using an insecticide on a bee/wasp nest with numerous holes. Without knowing the species, it is too risky. (I forgot to mention that if you do spray the nest, that you should cover the nest to enclose the bees/wasps.)

May 30, 2008, 05:39 AM
    Thanks for the info.

We tried a product Bonide (The can says for termite and carpenter ants, but reading label lists bees/wasps). This can had a long staw that attached to the top to be placed in the hole. The problem is there are a lot of holes, so I think we missed some. And yes my husband got stung once. Early this morning I tried Sevin and dusted this on top of the holes and I'll see what happens. Questions: Am I right in assuming that the holes I see in the morning that have a newly dug dirt piles are active and the one that don't are dead?

Thanks,
    Catc
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 30, 2008, 06:58 AM
    What do the bees look like. Any description might help. Dixie Dust worked nice for carpenter bees that I had. They carry the dust back into nest.

Pest Control Products and Supplies

Offers identification information and solutions.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 30, 2008, 08:42 AM
    OK you got lots of advice and some of it is a bit off base. Yellow jackets and hornets can build nests in the ground and if you disturb them they can swarm you. You can hire a pro if you want but most people ask questions here because they want to try something themselves. If this is your situation buy a spary can of Hornet Killer, it shoots about 20 '. Spary into the holes well after sunset. Give each hole a good 10 second dose of killer. Most hardware stores and home centers ell Hornet killer for about $5 a can, nothing really special to buy other than this. I'd get rid of that Sevin if I were you. Sevin Controversy
    themouseman Posts: 42, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2008, 09:49 PM
    Without a visual inspection identifing the wasp or bee species is not posible with what you have posted.

Take a dead sample to your nearest dept of agriculture office in your state.

Using aesol can spray from your hardware store will contain kerosine as a carrier agent. (unless you can find a water based product) unless you are on a city water supply on there are no wells within a minimum of 1500 ft of the area you are treating you will contaminate your water supply and damage your septic system. If your on a well have it tested weekly for next 6 months for contamination.

Use a water base or make your own in a hand sprayer containing permthrin, cypermethirn. Make sure the lable allows for application to wasps

Post area you no one walks into treated area for at least 48 hours.

Since you most likley used and oil based product do not use or consume any produce grown next to treated area for a minimum of 8 to 12 weeks to allow natural bacteria to decompose the kerosine.
    Hate them Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 31, 2009, 06:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catc View Post
    I have wasps/bees (not sure what) living the ground throughout my lawn. There are alot of holes. What is the best way to get rid of them.

Thanks,
    Catc
    I two have them... I have holes all over.. so to spray into everyone will be inpossaible.. Have you found a solution yet.. and if so did it work... I did read in other site about buying a couple of plastic knives placing in each hole at night and as you spray into them... and in the morning if any new hole are present them remove the old and so on until there gone.. I been dealing with them for about a few years now and I hadn't seen then last year.. but THERE BACKK this year and more then ever I know HELPPPP TOOOOOOOOOOOO.:eek:
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 1, 2009, 04:52 PM
    LOTS of advice for LOTS of different bees/wasps. One type that hasn't been mentioned is a solitary ground nesting wasp that digs one hole for each insect. Often they dig their holes in proximity, maybe because that ground is just appealing. This particular type of wasp isn't very aggressive, so there may not be a danger to the little ones, IF that's the type of wasp you're dealing with. A professional exterminator, your county Agricultural extension office, or the Biology Dept. at a local university should be able to identify the insects. Then you'll know what needs to be done.
    Hate them Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2009, 08:20 AM
    Thanks for the respone back I did have someone come out to my home to do inspection on my lawn and yes I was told they are bees and also was told it will cost me $215.00 for the treatment and only will guaratee of only 3months... A waste of money you u ask me... please let me know any other way...

Thanks,
    Hate Then in my yard...
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 2, 2009, 09:08 AM
    WHAT KIND OF BEES ? That's what we all needed to know. Honey bees? Bumble bees? Killer bees? Different types require different controls.
    Rivethead Posts: 88, Reputation: 7

Apr 5, 2009, 07:47 PM

Get several quart bottles of ammonia and pour one down each hole - that should move them on. Works for chipmunks too...
    CTWasps09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Diazinon supposedly works. Careful with children and animals - it's lethal. So lethal in fact that most states have outlawed it.
    If you can't do that, one site gave me a good idea that I tried and it worked pretty well. AT NIGHT, cover all of the nests with a tarp or bucket or something that you can weight down. Leave it there for a week. Some of the wasps will get out, but they won't be able to get back in with food for the kiddies. If you're really brave/dumb, you could kill the ones that get out with a tennis raquet, using it like a big fly swatter. I don't recommend this as you might get stung, but after dealing with these things for a while, it's very therapeutic.
    Upside to this treatment - it works, and with no chemicals, etc. Downside - it'll kill the lawn that you cover up. But I promise it'll grow back. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Paper Wasps Help [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All I have a problem and hope someone can help. I have a paper wasp nest the size of a basket ball in my attic how do I get rid of it. Please HELP

Preventing wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last year, I had a nest underneath my back door and both myself and my puppy were constantly being stung. This year, I sprayed and patched the space under the door before they appeared. But, before I did this, I checked for a nest and could not find one. I sprayed anyway. Since they haven't...

Preventing Wasps [ 2 Answers ]

Last summer my entire family got stung by wasps. There was about 10 different nests under the railing of our large deck. The most problemsome was the nests near the gates that connected the deck to the pool area. We tried sprays of all kinds then just resorted to avoiding the main gate, but this...

Wasps ! [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone know of a good way to get rid of wasps? I bought one of those traps (yellow) with bait inside, hung it next to the "hive" and now after 3 days not even one wasp. Looked at the directions and it says " not for paper wasps" . What's a paper wasp and how do you tell? How do you get rid of...

View more questions Search